Planning Easytouch 8 Automation Setup - 2 actuators on one circuit?

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
I am starting to plan out the different features that I want to program.

I have 2 valves for 2 waterfalls that I can put a actuator on. I wish the were on one valve that I could turn on/off and then use the valves behind the water feature to control the individual flow.

Anyway, I will always want to turn them both on / off a at the same time. Do you think I could share a valve control for these two either by ganging them up inside the easytouch or before hand.

Thanks.

I do not think running multiple actuators off the same control is recommended as it could damage the controller or the actuators.

I know on the Hayward that 2 of the valve controls are slaved together for pool/spa mode. If you have something similar, then that could maybe be used. Or maybe you can program some Macro to turn 2 valves at the same time (I do not know how your automation works).

Your idea would double the current in the valve drive circuit. It may well be robust enough to handle it, or it may not.. poof!!! Not something I'd try before contacting Pentair and asking them what they think. The EasyTouch does drive the Intake and Return Valves at the same time, so I assume the transformer is up to the job.

So, how many total valves do you need? The EasytTouch only has four valves, Intake, Return, and two user programmable ones.

Another option would be to use an external transformer, a DPDT relay, and one of the Aux circuits and to make your own valve driver.

Jim R.

For out, i have 2 valves for the fountains, 1 for bubblers, 1 for return.

1 three way that splits the main drain from the vacuum and skimmer, and they each have there own valve. .

The PB does not do any automation, so he did not really set it up with that in mind. I think i am going to need to figure out what i modes i want to accomplish.

I am sure i will want a "pretty" mode that runs the sheer descents, and a filter mode, Maybe a swim mode thst turns on the bubblers.. .

Or you could just walk over to the equipment and move some valves ... that tends to be the easiest ;)

The only reason I see for automating valves is if you want changes to happen automatically when you are not around (like for solar or maybe for some cleaners). I say this because the 1 automated valve I have for my solar leaks like crazy no matter how much I try to fix the seals.

Or you could just walk over to the equipment and move some valves ... that tends to be the easiest ;)

The only reason I see for automating valves is if you want changes to happen automatically when you are not around (like for solar or maybe for some cleaners). I say this because the 1 automated valve I have for my solar leaks like crazy no matter how much I try to fix the seals.

What Jason says is quite true.. There is absolutely no reason for me to have an automation system, it is certainly not required to run my simple pool, but thankfully, I'm too stupid to understand this, and love my system anyway.... :cool:

Matt... It appear that you do not have a spa, so that almost eliminates the usefulness of the Intake and Return valves. Solar takes another one, that leaves you with only one valve to play with.

Jim R.

In theory, you could group the 2 valve actuators together. You would find out if the system could handle it or not by the small circuit breakers on the upper right corner of the outdoor control board. Breaker labeled "valves" would keep tripping, if you drew too much current (probable). Also, if you were able to group them, You would loose the spa fill and drain function in service mode. You wouldn't be able to use the other valve socket on the board for anything other than a signal to turn the valve actuator when you pressed the spa button, so unless you needed to open or close a valve when the spa is activated/ de-activated, it (that spare socket), would be little, or no use.

Note: If you don't have a spa, you should have a E/T for a single body of water, instead a pool/ spa version.

Yes, I could do it all manual but I am a tecky and I wanted my family to be able to punch a button. :)

I found that with a add-on module I could add 3 valves.
Pentair IntelliTouch Valve Module 520285 | Pentair 520285

Since I don't have a spa, maybe I can repurpose the spa return and suction valves to function a particular mode. I

I think I just now realized that the PB bought the wrong controller. I told him to buy
520705 EasyTouch 8PSC-IC40 - Single Body (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell)
and he bought
520545 EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 - Pool/Spa (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell, 2 actuators)
although I did not get the 2 actuators.

It sounds like the difference here is likely that I don't get control of 2 valves as they are already controlled by the spa button. Maybe there are other differences as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I just now realized that the PB bought the wrong controller. I told him to buy

520705 EasyTouch 8PSC-IC40 - Single Body (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell)

and he bought

520545 EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 - Pool/Spa (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell, 2 actuators)
although I did not get the 2 actuators.

You should just make the PB correct HIS mistake.

Thanks for your help. Returning the control center is complicated. I changed my request to get a 8 vs 4 and he did not want to do this anyway in the beginning as he is a little old school and has not done automation in the past but I wanted it and wanted the option to control other lighting that will be added later. It is just complicated and if I can avoid creating a issue I will, especially since I am not sure yet it makes any difference in my case. I saved alot of money using this builder and he allowed alot of flexibility in the design, equipment, contractors I used, etc. I don't want to make it sour and at this point I would call him a friend. Don't want to ruin that.

Here is a picture of the pool plumbing. Some plumbing changes could make things easier from a automation perspective.
  • Waterfalls are a pair, would not run one without the other. Wish they were just on one valve since there is a valve at the back of the waterfalls that enable control of the flow for equalization purposes. This probably would not be a difficult change as long as it does not reduce the flow needed too much.
  • No concerned with automating the spa jets in pool. These are just 2 jets on the swim out step that have air suction as well. Not sure that we will really use these much.
  • Solar is not yet in. Will be added next week.
  • Bubblers will likely be set to the same all of the time since they provide circulation up there when not swimming and are desired when swimmin

I spoke to Pentair and he confirmed that I cannot gang two valves.

Here is what I am thinking.
  • The return/spa valves control the waterfalls on and off
  • The A/solar valve controls solar
  • The B valve controls vacuum valve

Normal Pool operation would be just for filtering purposes
  • The pump at low speed just for circulation
  • Waterfall valves are off

Spa operation is my pretty/swim setting when we want to the waterfalls running
  • The pump speed increases to higher RPM to support waterfalls
  • Spa turns on the waterfall valves

Vacuum operation
  • The pump speed increases to higher RPM to support vacuum
  • B valve is actuated to open vacuum suction line

You will need to make sure that your pool cleaner (if any) is functioned (not labeled) as a generic, otherwise, anytime you are in SPA, the cleaner will be locked out/disabled. You will also either need to return/exchange your valve actuators to 90 degree rotation type, or re-adjust the existing 180 degree to 90, otherwise, with your current plumbing, they will rotate from off through on, to off again.

Otherwise, what you propose should work, if you can get around the "SPA" display when you are in your "swim" mode.

You will need to make sure that your pool cleaner (if any) is functioned (not labeled) as a generic, otherwise, anytime you are in SPA, the cleaner will be locked out/disabled. You will also either need to return/exchange your valve actuators to 90 degree rotation type, or re-adjust the existing 180 degree to 90, otherwise, with your current plumbing, they will rotate from off through on, to off again.

Otherwise, what you propose should work, if you can get around the "SPA" display when you are in your "swim" mode.

Thanks: Good point, I purchased the Intermatic Actuators and they state that they can be adjusted to 90 or 180 and I believe more inbetween.

You will need to make sure that your pool cleaner (if any) is functioned (not labeled) as a generic, otherwise, anytime you are in SPA, the cleaner will be locked out/disabled./QUOTE]

It is a pentair suction cleaner. Do you mean that in the Easytouch, it needs to be set to "functioned". I am not yet sure what that means. I think the result that you are saying is that if we put into spa mode, then the vacuum schedule would not run.

I noticed that there was probbly some extra function around the heater for spa. Do you see this as any specific issue. As long as I can control the pool temp with the solar.

Those are probably the easiest actuators to adjust! I don't like them though because there is no guarantee that they are adjusted correctly for 180 degrees out of the box (nuisance). Jandy has recently come up with a adjustment that is pretty easy also, Pentair is the worst, but they recently came out with a new actuator that can be adjusted through the automation, how about that!

It is a pentair suction cleaner. Do you mean that in the Easytouch, it needs to be set to "functioned". I am not yet sure what that means. I think the result that you are saying is that if we put into spa mode, then the vacuum schedule would not run.

I noticed that there was probAbly some extra function around the heater for spa. Do you see this as any specific issue. As long as I can control the pool temp with the solar.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes FUNCTION, not FEATURE. You can set the function in: MENU/SETTINGS/CIRCUIT FUNC./. This tells the E/T how to handle, or treat the aux's. You will want the "valve" choice (if a suction side cleaner), for the cleaner.

I would just treat, or set, both of the thermostats with the same settings: MENU/HEAT/

- - - Updated - - -

Noticed something else...

You have three suction inlets. That could be problematic when trying to balance the suction for the cleaner. If you are merely opening the vac valve, and expect it to have good vac by just increasing the pump speed, you may find that that wont do it. You will probably have to play with the degree of opening on each valve to get the suction needed to operate the cleaner correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.