3 weeks of SLAM...blue but cloudy

Dager

May 27, 2014
Atoka, TN
Hello, hoping for a little help again this spring. Everything went as planned with my SLAM, except I am now 3 weeks in and have gone through 58 gallons of 8.25 bleach. Headed out for 10 more.
Dark green water when I started. I have maintained a shock level of 12 as per my CYA of 30 the whole time, testing 3-4 times a day, more frequently on weekends. My water is now a beautiful blue but still cloudy. It's been like this for the past week and a half. I have now let my CL drop to 5 which took all day Sat and Sun and up until this afternoon. I am losing less than 1% overnight which was accurate for 3 days in a row.

FC: 5.0
CC: 0
CH: 100
TA: 90
PH: 7.5
CYA: 30

I am in deep water with the Admiral (my wife), it only costs $75. to drain and refill the pool. I was totally convinced I could get it done for less....hmmmmm, I am way over at this point but I don't want to dump it after buying all the bleach in town. Is there another possible reason for the cloudy water?
Thanks.

Dager, when someone hits a brickwall like you appear to have hit, I simply go back to a few basics since it's easy to get thrown off track:
- When was the last time you confirmed your CYA?
- Did you test the CYA outside under bright (natural) light at you back when viewing the black dot?
- Are there any areas where algae can hide in your pool (ladders, behind a light fixture, etc)
- How is water circulation?
- Have you ever deep cleaned your sand filter? Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
- Of course review the SLMA page at least once a day , even if you have most of it memorized by now....just in case :)

Maybe something there will help.

Thank you for responding. I tested CYA today and outside with sun at my back. I haven't placed the ladder in the pool yet. I will scrub around the light again just to be sure. I started out last summer with new sand but will check it just in case. Thanks again.

Not sure if you can get in your water yet or reach the light ... but if you have one of those large traditional type light fixtures, you would be amazed at how much algae can hide behind that light in its niche over time. If you have such a light niche and are comfortable doing so, it would be a good idea to check in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.