Considering a new vinyl liner - what to look for

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I'm strongly considering having new liner installed in my pool. The current one is only about five(?) years old, but I am unhappy with both the quality of the liner and the installation. The pattern on the bottom is worn off in spots and fading badly in others. It looks like it is 20 years old. The installer left wrinkles in several spots and there was a tear around one of the return nozzles that I didn't find for a year. I was out of town when the work was done and my wife didn't watch what was going on and even paid the guy for some additional work that he never did. If that was not bad enough I paid for a 27 mil liner, but he installed a 20. I only found that out when I went to the pool store where he bought the liner trying to track him down. He left town owing the pool store several thousand dollars for liners he replaced but didn't pay for. This happened after hurricane Katrina - a lot of fraud occurs in the aftermath of a catastrophic hurricane.

When this liner is replaced it will be the fourth time. The last three were replaced as a result of hurricane damage (trees and parts of roofs landing in the pool). I have not been well pleased with any of them. The patterns seem to start fading out after about a year. All of them have started to pull away from the top in a few spots around the perimeter after about a year. This time I would like have a good high quality liner that will last and keep it's looks for more than a year.

Any recommendations on brands, types, what to look for, or what not to buy?

The company I work for uses Vynal liners ( out of NH) and they have ALWAYS been good to us!

You should have measurements of the entire pool done before buying a new liner!! :hammer: (if you'd like to know what measurements are MOST important, just ask :) ) As you have wrinkles, either the pool is 'out of square', the floor isn't level, ort he floor height isn't right for the liner.

Yeah, the liner he installed was actually too large. The deep end is 8'6", but the liner was designed for 9'. I think he guessed at the dimensions and never actually pulled a tape.

My chief concern is the stability of the inked on patterns. All of the previous liners have faded out after only a year or so. The current one has large areas and streaks and spots that are completely white when they should be more blue than white. I've seen this on the other liners as well. Also they keep pulling away from the top of the pool so that it looks like they are shrinking. I can usually pull them up enough to get them back where they belong, but not always.

They all look good for the first season, but after that they don't look so good. There should be a liner somewhere that is better than what I have seen so far - just can't seem to find it.

Check out Canadian Tower General's website ww.cgtpooliners.com they are a vinyl maker that supplies the companies that make liners. You can click on a design to find a maker in your area. I would recommend the infinity series of liner since its designed to combat your specific problems with fading. Ive been installing their vinyl for 12 years & havent seen any premature bleeding or fading. Just make sure that you are getting the brand you want since some makers source from multiple places if it seems too good of a price then the quality is probably cheap.

While the quality of the liner and pattern are important, I do want to suggest that perhaps it was bad water chemistry that caused the premature fading :shock: Acidic water or a chlorine level too high for your cya level will damage the liner and fade the pattern! :)

You've now got 3 recommended manufacturers, do a little price comparison and get one that will last without fading 8) :goodjob: (and make sure it's a liner made to your pool specifications :hammer: :lol: )

waste said:
While the quality of the liner and pattern are important, I do want to suggest that perhaps it was bad water chemistry that caused the premature fading :shock: Acidic water or a chlorine level too high for your cya level will damage the liner and fade the pattern! :)

You've now got 3 recommended manufacturers, do a little price comparison and get one that will last without fading 8) :goodjob: (and make sure it's a liner made to your pool specifications :hammer: :lol: )

It is possible the liner was damaged as a result of bad water chemistry. I didn't know what good water chemistry was until I found this site. I've been reading some of the liner manufacturer sites and I really can't tell any difference between them, but maybe I don't know what to look for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.