Stain in spa caused by ozonator or N2?

May 10, 2009
Hi everyone,

Some time ago I decided to add an ozonator to my spa. I did so because I wanted to reduce the amount of chlorine use. However, after having the ozonator for over a year (replaced the chip a couple of months ago), I now notice a yellow stain on the tub wall (fiberglass). It appeared about a month ago. The stained area is across from where the ozonator ejects into the spa.

However, about 8 months I also began using N2. About a month ago, I replaced it with a new cartridge. The water from the filter and N2 also comes out in the area where the ozonator ejects air.

So I'm wondering what caused the stain, the ozonator, or something in N2?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Peter

Could be iron from your fill water that is being oxidized by the ozone. Hold a vitamin c tablet on the stain for about 30 seconds and see if it disappears under the tablet. Report back the results and we can take it from there.
The N2 spa carts contain silver and zinc so they would not produce yellow stains but grey to black ones. Iron can produce yellow stains.

waterbear said:
Could be iron from your fill water that is being oxidized by the ozone. Hold a vitamin c tablet on the stain for about 30 seconds and see if it disappears under the tablet. Report back the results and we can take it from there.
The N2 spa carts contain silver and zinc so they would not produce yellow stains but grey to black ones. Iron can produce yellow stains.

Thanks waterbear,

I appreciate the quick response. I will try that test after I acquire some tablets.

Peter

Re: Stain in spa caused by ozonator or N2? - update

Hi all,

I think I've discovered the source of the yellow stain. Last night we were in the spa and tried cleaning the stain by rubbing it with a white sponge. We could see some yellow on the sponge, so we tried rubbing the stain more aggressively. More of the yellow came off the tub wall. My son recalled that when I last replaced the ozonator chip, the clear tube going from the ozonator to the tub, was slightly yellowed, so we replaced the tube at that time.

This morning I checked the clear tube. It was still slightly yellow, but it also appeared that there was condensation in the tube. I removed the tube and, using a q-tip, I swiped the inside of the tube. The substance on the q-tip is definitely yellow and also very sticky, like a heavy syrup. I'm going to assume that this is causing the problem. Not sure why the clear tube is breaking down the way it is. Perhaps I'm not using the right kind of tube material. For now, I've disconnected my ozonator and plugged the line going into the tub.

I'm going read over the tips in this forum regarding spa maintenance, balancing, etc. Maybe I won't be needing the ozonator afterall.

Thanks

Peter

You need to use special ozone resistant tubing or it will break down! If you are using chlorine and not bromine you are possibly better off without the ozonator. (The N2 is another story altogether!)

waterbear said:
You need to use special ozone resistant tubing or it will break down! If you are using chlorine and not bromine you are possibly better off without the ozonator. (The N2 is another story altogether!)

Thanks waterbear,

I do use chlorine and I'm going to try using the tub without the ozonator.

As per your comment, "The N2 is another story altogether!" . . . I took it out when I changed my water last week. Here's why: about a month ago I had done a fresh fill and added a new N2 cartridge. This is the third new cartridge over the past several months. However, this time I immediately noticed a strange odor. Hard to describe, but it smelled like something "sour". Others didn't notice it like I did, but I'm fussy. Anyway, for this recent fill I decided to leave out the N2, and the odd odor is gone. Anyway, is N2 helping or an unnecessary add on? I'm really trying to go with a "KISS" system that will give clean and effective results. I'm also considering the BBB method after my current chemicals have been used.

Peter

frustratedpoolmom said:
KISS is the way to go and the N2 is an unneccessary add on. Some users report benefits in spas, but necessary, no. :goodjob:

Glad to hear your positive update. :wink:

Thanks FPM :) , I will try without and see what happens. Will save me about $35 every 4 months . .

Peter

waterbear said:
for some info on mineral systems and other alternative sanitizers:
alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html Also, the Australian government's take on ionizers and mineral systems is quite enlightening!
http://www.apvma.gov.au/qa/poolspa_FAQ_May2005.shtml
I just wish our own EPA was as diligent!

Thanks for the links waterbear.

Wish I had stumbled into this forum much earlier. It would have educated me. I took a big risk being educated by local pool/spa vendors who often stressed, "You really need this and this and this, or else". Can't blame them for wanting to make a buck, but I get so many different stories and having been wasting time and money over the past several years.

But better late than never for a positive change. I'm certain to find here . . .

Peter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
launboy said:
Can't dd much to this thread, but your avatar is very interesting. Is there a story behind that one??? :lol:

Adam

Sure is Adam,

It was about 5 years ago when I had an issue with my spa where I thought it needed "super cleansing". I was getting a reaction when using the spa, even after a fresh water change (which I do about once a month). Couldn't pinpoint the cause so I went to my local spa store. They said, "here, take this cleaner and add one cap-full to your spa and run the jets, it should super clean your spa". Not sure exactly what was in the bottle, but I followed the store's directions. Poured in a cap, ran the jets, stepped into the house, and in less than 5 minutes my daughter is screaming that the spa is buried under foam . . .

I learned a lesson that day . . .

Peter

Aidan Weisz said:
Trichlor Chlorine tablets should never be used in a portable spa. Dissolve rate, potency and the extreme low pH of this chemical can cause severe damage to the spa surface and components.

Thanks for that bit of info Aidan . . . but I believe you posted to the wrong topic :)

Peter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.