Hello...

May 10, 2016
Sacramento, CA
I'm Racer X and I hate my pool. It was included with the house we bought...we love the house, the property, everything...except the pool (and I'm pretty sure that the pool hates us as well). We live on 5 acres out in the country but we have a very geometrically shaped pool that doesn't even try to blend into the beautiful scenery that we live in. After 5 years, it was time to try and do something about the pool. So we contacted several pool companies that did pool remodeling. We know that we need new plaster and that the pool filter and pumps need updating, but mostly we want the pool to 'fit in' to the outdoors better. Maybe redo the concrete desk to soften the pool and spray extra coating in the corners of the pool to 'round' out the shape. We expected it not to be cheap...but every estimate was $50,000 or more. So, I'm here seeking advice as to how to get the pool and us to live together, in harmony.

This picture is from the day we moved in and began our struggle with the pool. Now, it looks like a pool should look like...blue water and all, but that shape...

IMG_0797.jpg

Just my replaster was over $10,000.

I wanted to add seats and steps around the pool, and they told me "that's structural, and will add up really fast" so I stuck with just the new tile and plaster.

Maybe you could dress it up with some large potted plants?

One thing that comes to mind, just changing that color from blue to something new when you replaster, plus a modern style water line tile, will do wonders for your pool. The transformation on ours was pretty startling.

Not trying to really add anything structural, just plaster, tile, and equipment...they want $16k for equipment alone and almost $12 to install it (all new pipe...don't know why). For what they are asking, we almost would rather tear it all out and build a pool we would like instead of band-aids on a pool we don't. They don't make plants large enough to dress this one up. We are just thinking the prices are high and are looking for others who may have done a remodel:what they did and how much it cost. You can put a pig in a dress, but no matter how nice the dress is it's still a pig.

A filter and "pumps" and install----------16 grand? Something is bad wrong here unless that includes the plaster and tile as well, which I don't consider to be equipment.. I'd sure find out why somebody thinks you need all new piping. Maybe they just need the work and money!

Removal of old plaster: $2,800. Install Pebble Tec and install new VGB safety compliant drain : $7,500. Pentair heater: $2,280. Pentair autofill: $428. Pentair controller: $1,289, remote controller: $688. Pentair GloBrite lights: $1,680. Pentair filter and variable speed pump (humm, only says 1 pump and we currently have 2), pool sweep: $11,800...sorry I stand corrected: $18,165. Second estimate mirrors the first. This is why I'm confused (and suffering sticker shock). I'm thinking that because we live in an upscale area (we and our house isn't upscale, but there are million dollar houses all around us) they are charging upscale prices.

That shape may not be for everyone, but I do like it. I typically prefer straight lines and polygon shapes in design rather than curved edges. I'd take the shape of this pool over my boring rectangle any day!

Prices do seem rather high.

Yes, but on both estimates they lump things together and then have one price. For example the Pentair filter ($1,000), variable speed pump (most expensive pump they sell is $1,300), secondary pump ($1,300), pool cleaner ($500), pole and brush (>$100), and chemical test kit (>$60): $11,800. I only see about $4,000 ($5,000 tops) here, not $11,800.

Getting two more estimates and am going to schedule another visit from one of the first estimates and we'll see what they have to say. I'm learning more about pool remodeling every day and so I have a better idea as to what questions to ask. I just didn't want to have to become a professional in order to understand what I was doing...Thanks for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Getting two more estimates and am going to schedule another visit from one of the first estimates and we'll see what they have to say. I'm learning more about pool remodeling every day and so I have a better idea as to what questions to ask. I just didn't want to have to become a professional in order to understand what I was doing...Thanks for the help.

By the time you are finished, you will know more about pools than all your pool builders combined. I promise.

Well if you hate the shape then you need to start from scratch. I don't think you have a pig and what you have can be dressed up it's just that massive concrete that needs to go. First thing to figure out is if you can like the size and shape of what you have if it blended in better or if you're going to regret dumping 50K into something you'll never be happy with.

I don't think it's the shape (IMHO) as much as what seems like 50's bomb shelter concrete around it. Having that concrete around the spa should be OK but the rest of the apron seems to really need some softening. I don't know if you can tint/color concrete after it's cured but changing the color might also make what you have more appealing.
I think removing the concrete around the pool and going with a more modern coping and then something for an apron, rock, tinted/colored concrete, stenciled concrete, wood decking ...

Maybe even having a contractor take a concrete saw to it and cutting back from the pool so you have a decorative coping that makes an attractive border between the Pebble Tec and concrete.
The picture shows what adding coping would be like. There are tons of sizes, colors and textures to pick from.

Attachments

• pool coping.jpg
    pool coping.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 33
I'm with you...we live in the country and wanted our pool to be a country pond, not a Hilton resort. Here are some things you could do without breaking the bank:
- Soften up the edges/corners with rock formations.
- Add some stone to the top edge between the spa and pool.
- Top the deck with flagstone.
- Remove some, or all, of the concrete deck and add in some curved edge planting beds with stepping stones.
- Add some realistic artificial turf for low maintenance green space around it.
- Use ornamental grass clumps and evergreen shrubs here and there to break up the site lines.
- Try adding in a rocky stream and a waterfall.

Search the googles for "natural look swimming pool" to get some inspiration.

Welcome to TFP. This doesn't have to be a hate hate relationship.