Thoughts on 12V Peristaltic Pump

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I have been chatting with poolfool1961 and have a question for anyone with experience with one of the 12V Peristaltic Pumps. I am wanting to install an auto chlorinator for my inground pool. My question is, does anyone know if the 12V pumps are capable of producing enough head pressure to inject the chlorine into the pressure or suction lines? poolfool1961 actually has his set up to drip into the pool but not sure how I could pull that one off having an inground pool. Just looking to see if anyone else has had experience with these smaller pumps. Not really in the position to pay $200 for a larger Stenner pump right now.

Which pump in particular are you looking at? There are literally tons of metering pumps out there and without knowing which one you're looking at it's impossible to say if it'll work or not.

We also need to know how long you run your main pump.

I was looking at the cheap (under $20) pumps on Amazon mostly ( Amazon.com: Homecube 12V DC Peristaltic Liquid Pump Miniature Dosing Pump Hose Pump for Aquarium Lab Analytical Water: Industrial Scientific ).

I am currently running my pool pump 24/7 as it does not have a timer. I eventually want to add a timer but that will probably be next year.

I am still learning all the terminology... Is the suction side before the pump or after? If before, will the added chlorine have a negative affect on the pump and filter?

The suction side is where water enters the pump from either the skimmer or MD. Here, the pressure is lower than atmospheric so water will flow into the pump. You can take advantage of that fact and use the main pump as the injection pump so you don't need a secondary injection pump. And if you use it to add chlorine, as long as the injection rate is fairly slow, it will have no negative impact on the equipment because the effective rise if FC will only be a few ppm and no different than if you added the FC to the pool.

It depends on how high the bucket will be relative to the pool water level and also if the pump would be running at full speed. Also, the head loss between the pump and the pool plays a role. But it is pretty easy to do an experiment to see if it will or not. You just need a bucket a hose line and the connector for the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would one of those cheap $20 fishtank pumps be able to inject on the pressure side?
Those are pretty low head pumps so it might work only if you inject when the VS pump runs at very low speed. Then the pressure is low enough so the injection pump does not have to overcome as much pressure.

Did you order the 12V or the larger pump? I have not broken down to give this a try.
I ordered a 45MPHP10 wired for 12v. I'm anxious to use it, as I'm sure it'll do the job I want without a problem, as it has for others here. But i placed my order on 5/23 late at night. My order shipped on 5/26, which is faster than I've heard some others have shipped from Locke. My shipment via Fedex home was supposed to be here Saturday by 8pm. On Saturday at exactly 8pm the Fedex tracking paged changed to say it didn't have a scheduled delivery date. I called today and Fedex told me they should that it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, June 1st. We'll see, I have nearly zero faith in Fedex, especially their home service.

Do mean the 45MPHP10 wired for 120v (not 12v)?.

Just checked their site. Any reason you didn't d the 44mphp22

Iwould love to hear about about results when installed. May splurge on the better pump

oops, I meant 120volt. My pool pump is 120 volt and that's all I've got at my pad, so that's what I'm running my stenner off of as well. I'll get the pump tomorrow. Hope to have it set up by the weekend at the latest. I'm already tired of pouring chlorine in all the time manually.

I got the 10gpd because the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be better to slowly put smaller amounts of chlorine out throughout the day, rather than all of the chlorine I needed in one run of the pump. I figure I'll be feeding roughly half a gallon of bleach a day, which should take about 72 minutes at 10gpd. I run my pool pump for 2 hours 3 times a day. I'll run the stenner about 24 minutes during each cycle. If I had gotten the 22gpd per day, it would have put out all the chlorine I needed in 11 minutes. But also, if I decide I want to do 22gpd, all it takes is a swap for a larger tube.

Thanks for the info.. All I am concerned about is the 12V version having enough head pressure to feed the return side of the pipe. I know the 120V will work with no issues but dropping the cash for that is a little hard to do right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.