Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My SWG pool was opened 2 weeks ago and the water was clear upon opening. The guy that opened it put in 3lbs of shock and a gallon of algaecide (turns out it was a linear quat). Fast forward 2 weeks and I have the chemicals in order, but when the waterfall is on, there are soapy suds that form where the waterfall hits. From what I've read, the suds should get filtered away over time and there is nothing to worry about. Question is how long? Anyone have a similar issue before and if so how long does it take to go away? I'd rather not SLAM the pool being as I already have everything in check, except for these suds...
Levels last I checked are:

FC 6.5
PH 7.7
TA 75
CH 170
CYA ~80

Thanks for the response. Taylor K-2006 kit. CYA test is never easy and I'm never sure how accurate the reading is, with that black dot visibility being subjective.

My pool suds up a bit every spring and I do not use algaecide. I do however use RV antifreeze to winterize the pool lines. I attempt to get some of it out of the lines before starting circulation but there's always some in there. From my experience with most pool service companies, they do not bother removing any of the antifreeze and just let it all go into the pool. This could be the source of the bubbles or sudsing. I also notice a slight antifreeze aroma for a few weeks as well. It has gone away each year after a few weeks as the RV antifreeze gets slowly broken down by, I assume, residual FC. It's not the same antifreeze as automotive so it's fairly non-toxic, so no concern there.

EDIT:

Forgot to say... Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Yes, the foaming should go away in a few days. Here is a thread from long ago but it has responses from two of our TFP Experts.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/30252-Foaming-algaecide-help

On another note, it is really easy to open your own pool in the spring. I recommend watching them do it, or since it's already happened, reading up and doing it yourself next year. There is no special equipment needed. It's basically taking off cover, removing some plugs, re-installing others, getting filter back in order, flipping some switches and testing/adding chemicals. I am so much more at ease doing it myself instead of worrying what someone else might be doing to my pool. Even if you contract with someone to open and not add chemicals, they very well could because it's their standard procedure.

On the CYA test, be sure to view the following thread for Extended-Test-Kit-Directions. Post #8 covers CYA testing.

Thanks guys. What has me a little concerned is that it's been 2 weeks now and there are still suds. And yes, since this was the first opening of our pool, I had it done and did watch them do it so I can plan on doing it myself next year. As for antifreeze, I'm not sure if any was used. I believe the lines were blown out.
On another note, this site truly is the best pool resource. Last year (year pool went in) I stumbled upon it after getting frustrated going back and forth to the pool store with water samples and spending hundreds of dollars on phosphate removal chems and all kinds of other junk. Bought my own test kit and haven't been back since (and haven't spent another dime on Phosfree).

So I found out that they put a whole gallon of AquaZone Quat 10 in my pool. The label says use 1 gallon for 50k gallons of water- meanwhile my pool is just over 16k gallons. Hence the probably reason for my suds more than 2 weeks after opening! Without adding additional foam-reducing chemicals, is there a way to speed up the process? Filter pressure has been holding steady in normal range, but would backwashing help?

No, you want your filter a little "dirty" actually. You could try some DE also.

(This is also why no one besides me is allowed to touch my pool :) )

is there a way to speed up the process?
Run your pump 24/7 and Bring your FC up for a one-time dose of 15-20 ppm.

That should take a bite out of it in a couple of days.....hard to say the exact time. Don't adjust ANYTHING else and don't buy a foam reducing agent......you have about the best one there is already....chlorine! :D

For insurance, don't allow those dobo's back on your property.

Reactions: Susan Rossi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I found out that they put a whole gallon of AquaZone Quat 10 in my pool. The label says use 1 gallon for 50k gallons of water- meanwhile my pool is just over 16k gallons. Hence the probably reason for my suds more than 2 weeks after opening! Without adding additional foam-reducing chemicals, is there a way to speed up the process? Filter pressure has been holding steady in normal range, but would backwashing help?

Was it the whole gallon? The label you linked says one quart per 50k gallons. :?

So here we are almost one month since opening and there are still small bubbles near the returns and soapy suds under the waterfall. I had FC up to around 13 for a day (CYA was about 35). Do I give it more time or do I SLAM? We have a pool party next weekend and definitely want it cleared up by then. The water is crystal clear otherwise and everything else is in check.
Thinking the algaecide would have dissipated on it's own by now, I have since brought my CYA up to 70, so to SLAM it would require FC at 28. Any danger bringing it that high? And how long on average does it need to stay at SLAM level? The pool has been typically consuming about 1-2ppm per day, but warmer and sunnier temps are moving into the area.

Currenty:
FC - 8
PH - 7.4
CYA - 70
TA - 75
CH - 175

***CORRECTION -- I just ran another CYA test and it's more in the 50-55 range, so shock level is more in the FC 22 area.

Last edited:
I would try adding some DE to your sand filter. It will help grab that stuff out of the water. Here is a link to it:

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Now listen closely........When you add the DE make sure you can be around the house/pool for a couple of hours. It needs to be babysat until you find out how much YOUR filter likes. We had one that only liked 2 Tablespoons and mine likes 2.5 CUPS! You should see the pressure rise about 3 psi and settle there. IF it shoots up, shut it off and do a backwash. Start over with less. I would start with 1/4 cup and go from there. After about 2 hours you should know what your filter likes.

Kim:cat:

Thanks Kim! Will run out and pick some up. Guess it's worth trying that before jacking up my FC.
Ughh, lesson learned about letting someone else open my pool.

Hold off on buying the DE for right now unless you want to have some on hand to polish your water once we get it clear. I like having some around for that reason.

I have one of our good chemical guys on his way to lend a hand to make sure we get you set up.

Kim:cat

As you've now realized that was waaay too much algaecide. Linear quats are highly susceptible to chlorine oxidation but their by products of oxidation cause foaming.

Unfortunately filtration alone, no matter the type, will not help. This is a chemical problem. Until the foaming agents are oxidized to something volatile that can outgas or something that will not generate a foam, your problem will persist.

Can you please post your CC measurements? You did not include those.

There are two things you can try. First, you can SLAM your pool to try to oxidize the algaecide more quickly. Second, you could try to raise your CH a little higher, perhaps to 200-250ppm range. Calcium ions interferes with a micelles ability to form a foam so that might help as well.

I, personally, would start with a SLAM before adjusting CH.

Thanks for the input Matt!
My CC is <.5 which is another reason I was trying to avoid the SLAM. But based on your feedback, adding DE to my sand filter may not help the situation and a shock may be the way to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.