Soapy looking suds since opening pool due to algaecide

Matt,
Do you recommend I keep the waterfall running through the SLAM to keep the suds generating? The returns don't create suds, just small bubbles here and there.
Thanks again.
As you've now realized that was waaay too much algaecide. Linear quats are highly susceptible to chlorine oxidation but their by products of oxidation cause foaming.

Unfortunately filtration alone, no matter the type, will not help. This is a chemical problem. Until the foaming agents are oxidized to something volatile that can outgas or something that will not generate a foam, your problem will persist.

Can you please post your CC measurements? You did not include those.

There are two things you can try. First, you can SLAM your pool to try to oxidize the algaecide more quickly. Second, you could try to raise your CH a little higher, perhaps to 200-250ppm range. Calcium ions interferes with a micelles ability to form a foam so that might help as well.

I, personally, would start with a SLAM before adjusting CH.

Matt,
Do you recommend I keep the waterfall running through the SLAM to keep the suds generating? The returns don't create suds, just small bubbles here and there.
Thanks again.

Yes. All pumps should be running to ensure that your plumbing system is getting the proper chlorination. Hopefully the ADBAC (short hand for the linear quat chemical name) by-products will breakdown quickly.

Update:
Added a couple gallons of liquid chlorine and got my FC up to 22 on Friday. I have kept the pump running 24/7 since then and it may have gotten a "little" better. Since I want to have FC down to safe swimming level by the weekend I have not been maintaining shock level. As of 5pm today FC is sitting at about 17.5. I plan to let the pump keep running in hopes that one morning soon I'll wake up to no suds. Fingers crossed. To give an idea of what I'm dealing with, here's a pic of the suds under the waterfall. Thanks everyone for the help so far.
20160522_205843.jpg

The suds (quat algaecide) won't hurt anything besides the look of the pool if you want to let your FC drop for swimming. The suds will eventually go away if its from the quat. You must have put aloooot of quat in there to still be as sudsy as that 12 days later?

12 days? Try about a month! Yeah, my (former) pool opener dropped a gallon of the cheap stuff in. The first week I actually had white cloudy soapy looking stuff coming out of the returns. At least now I just have to tell the kids not to splash :)

A gallon of 20% or 50% ADBAC? I have used ADBAC in the past and I know from experience that if you keep your FC elevated at shock level, the suds will go away faster and your FC will drop quicker too. If you don't elevate your FC the suds will stay for a good while. I'd say you still have 5-10 ppm of ADBAC in your pool and a few days left but only if you elevate your FC to shock level and keep it there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.