Difference in salt pellets

May 6, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
I have been reading lots the last couple of days and have a question about salt pellets. Several have posted that salt pellets for water softening are ok to use.The price here is certainly better than POOL SALT at the pool shop. I took note that the treated salt is not good to use. Went to TSC and they have big bags of pellets. One type are hard oval shaped System Saver Pellets "formulated to guarantee 99.7% pure". They are really compressed pellets, pure white with a glaze and are about an inch long and 1/2 in wide. The other are small crystal like bits and are Select Plus Rock Salt-99.4% pure salt .

I immersed a few of each in water to see how they dissolve. The small bits dissolved quickly but the bigger pellets took a bit longer.There was no residue after dissolving from either product. Anyone else use pellets this size? Seems to me they would take forever to dissolve if dumped into the pool in bulk. Anyone got any thoughts or experience with this type of salt pellets.
Here's what they look like:
IMG_8993.jpg

pellets are the slowest dissolving but generally the purest salt. It's really a moot point. Just dump it in and run the pump. Brush it or move it around with your feet if you are in the pool and it will dissolve in about an hour or so for the pellets.

No P in my ool said:
A bag of pellets took 15 minutes longer to dissolve than a bag of solar salt the other day. I didn't think that was too much of an inconvenience. :lol:
Gee, 15 whole minutes? I just don't know if I can give it that much extra time on my busy schedule! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

oletrout said:
Thanks No P in my ool

Were they the big ones like in the pic I posted. Sorry for the trivial questions but this is all new to me :-D

Cheers
Those are the standard pellet form of salt, be it morton or diamond crystal. Also, no question is trivial. That is how we all learn. Also, you will soon find out that I am a wise guy of few word but harmless! (mostly harmless?) :rockon:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This year I did an unscientific comparison of available salt.
All 40 pound bags.
All done 3 bags dumped into the shallow end, mixed around with a regular pool brush.
Pool Store had food grade salt, looks like the stuff in salt shakers, $11.65 a bag.
Takes no time of pushing around to dissolve. say 5 minutes.

DIY store had pool salt, about 1/8 inch granules give or take.
Took about 8 minutes to dissolve.
$7.30 a bag.

DIY store had watersoftner salt, 99.6% pure. Granules varying in size from table salt size to dime size.
$4.17 a bag, no additives, but was not food grade.
Took about 12 minutes to dissolve.

The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work, even though they dissolve more slowly they are still fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, but tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 17% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

Yep, the solar salt is faster dissolvling than the pellets. Do NOT use rock salt, only solar or pellets with no additives for removing rust or cleaning the softener. The standard yellow bags of pellets and blue (or yellow for Sun Gems) bags of solar salt are fine. Stay away from the red and green bags.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.