Lowering Alkalinity - Aeration Step

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
I read the PH/TA articles in pool school and have a process question. When adding acid to lower my alkalinity, can I keep the fountain on during and after this step? Or must I first ensure the PH has lowered, then start aerating? I wasn't sure whether aerating during the entire process would affect the PH. Thanks.

You can aerate the entire time, though it will have the greatest effect after the pH is lower. In other words, it doesn't hurt to aerate before the pH is lower, but it won't help as much until you do. It is the combination of low pH and lots of aeration that makes the process go faster. When you see the pH rise up above 7.0, add acid to lower it again and repeat as frequently as your patience allows until your TA is where you want it to be. Then at that point stop adding acid and just aerate to get the pH up to your target level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.