Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering Alkalinity - Aeration Step

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering Alkalinity - Aeration Step

I read the PH/TA articles in pool school and have a process question. When adding acid to lower my alkalinity, can I keep the fountain on during and after this step? Or must I first ensure the PH has lowered, then start aerating? I wasn't sure whether aerating during the entire process would affect the PH. Thanks.
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering Alkalinity - Aeration Step

You can aerate the entire time, though it will have the greatest effect after the pH is lower. In other words, it doesn't hurt to aerate before the pH is lower, but it won't help as much until you do. It is the combination of low pH and lots of aeration that makes the process go faster. When you see the pH rise up above 7.0, add acid to lower it again and repeat as frequently as your patience allows until your TA is where you want it to be. Then at that point stop adding acid and just aerate to get the pH up to your target level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"