Sand in pool

I have a 10inch sandfilter and pump attached to a swg. I have a huge issue with sand getting in the pool. I backwash then rinse then go back to filter. After a few hours theres sand all in the pool. I can not do the back wash and just cut the pump on in the morning and sand again in the pool. All sand filter parts have been inspected and are in working order. I need help with what may be causing this. I recenlty changed the sand as well same issue. All inside compontes are not cracked and have been replaced as well. Pool is intex 18x9x52 with filtration system that came with it besides add in swg.

Are you sure it sand and not dead algae? People often mistake dead algae for sand. Does it puff away when you brush? Can you scoop some up and let it dry out to verify it is sand? You can also Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is algae growing.

Please add your state to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <----, climate is often an important factor when we are helping you with your pool.

Now that you mention it. When I vaccum the pool its never in the nylon sock nor when I use my robot. So if thus is algae that looks like sand how can it be treated to fix the issue. 4500 gallons 10inch sandfilter with pump with swg added. Just recently changed the sand. Ph last time was checked was none. Pool supply store had me shick the pool and add ph up. Please help with what to do

Last edited:
Michael, if your pool does indeed have algae, and it sounds like it may, you need to "SLAM" (link below in my sig). To perform a SLAM, you will need not only a good amount of regular bleach, but you need to test the water on your own with one of two kits (TF-100 or a Taylor K-2006C). Free store testing/products are counterproductive and test strips give false readings as well. Plus, you'll be testing free chlorine levels often and need that kit at home. I have the TF-100 (link below as well) and it's a fantastic product. For the pH that you say is showing none, you have two choices - wait for the TF-100 to arrive, or pick-up a cheap HTH test kit at Wal-Mart for about $6. It will test pH for now just to get that one under control.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

How does you water look?
Are the pool walls slimy?
These are additional signs of algae.

The TF100 from TFTestkits.net ships from NC same day so you should get it in 1-2 days with regular shipping.

Do you have a brush for the pool? You need to brush the pool walls to help kill the algae. And add 20oz of 8.25% bleach and brush every day while you wait for a good test kit.

I have brushed the bottom of the pool where it looks like the dirt was and did brush the whole bottom of the pool as well. The walls were not slimey or anything. I took a samole of the water to my pool people today and they said I had no cholorine and my ph level was high. I was given 2lbs of turbo shock and 2lbs of stabalizer. They also said the ph was high as well. I will order that test kit today. Thanks for all the help

No chlorine is another symptom of algae growing and quickly consuming your chlorine. It is the first sign really, then slimy walls and then cloudy pool. So, you are early in the process.

While we don't typically trust pool store tests, while you were there did they test stabilizer/CYA? Turbo shock is probably dichlor and will add more CYA to your pool. If your CYA is high that could be the problem with your pool growing algae.

Add bleach and brush daily. Once you have a test kit we can better advise how to proceed.

This is how we kill algae, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Another thing, you said the sand was recently replaced in the filter. I have found that if sand is coming out the returns, it usually happens when the pump is switched on. To test for this, shut everything off and wait about 30 minutes. Then, have someone hold a sock over a return, and then turn on the pump. The other person will need to hold the sock over the return for a few seconds, or until arms are tired. :) Turn sock inside out and see if you have sand in the sock. If the sand was replaced incorrectly, it may have broken a lateral. The proper method of adding sand is to fill the filter half full with water, then add the sand. If it is dumped straight in without water, it can damage the laterals.

This is all news. What is a lateral. Only thing inside the pump is a long plastic peace. Not cracked and a cicrle plastic peace and thats all. I was unaware to fill half with water then add sand. Thanks so much for that tip. I will look at the paper the gentlemen gave me after testing my water and see if a CYA is mentioned on there. So with a intex 18×9×52 above ground retangular pool. How much bleach would you suggest putting in?? The guy also said at the pool store to run my swg for 2 hours a day and to also run my pump for the next 48 hours non stop. As well as from now on run the swg 2 hours a day and the filter for6. Again intex above ground 18x9x52 reteculangar with a 10inch sand filter with oumo and a attached Swg

sand-filter-anatomy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The pool guy cannot tell you accurately how long to run your pump or SWG. The SWG run time is however long it takes to maintain proper FC, which can only be determined by you through testing.

The link on how to SLAM is above, and will walk you through how to determine how much bleach to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.