May 1, 2016
Raymore, MO
Just wanted to say what's up, I've already learned a lot on this site as I've been lurking for a couple weeks. We have a big pool that has been inoperable since two summers ago. My wife hired a pool company last spring to open it, and it didn't go well at all. We weren't able to use it but a few times. I bought a Taylor k 2006 kit and wondered why the CH was so high. Turns out, according to their invoice, that they started with 100 lbs of cal-hypo, and kept adding shock til the water was clear. This year I'm attempting to open it myself using this site's method. I've almost got everything off the bottom, and the water itself isn't green anymore, just cloudy. First test last Friday:

Ph. 7.6
Fc 12.4
Cc. 2.6
Ta. 70
Ch. 650
Cya. 0?

The ch scares me, and I've added 2 lbs of conditioner since. Also floating tricolor til Cya comes up.

Welcome to TFP! Was the FC zero for several months? Is it holding some of the FC or dropping to zero between tests? Don't add any more conditioner or anything to treat CH until some of the experts chime in. Also, with zero CYA you can hang out around FC 5 I believe. At 12.4 and no cya I think you might be threatening your liner over long periods of time. Does the PSI gauge work on the filter?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I wouldn't worry about the CH right now. Many others have much higher. Easy to manage after the SLAM. Right now though ... SLAM accuracy. Did you adjust pH to 7.2-ish before raising the FC? If not, it would be a good idea to let the FC sink briefly just to confirm pH, then raise it back up and stay at an FC of 12 assuming your CYA was projected to be 30. If the stabilizer is already dissolved in the water, test the CYA again tomorrow or Thursday under bright light outside (behind you) to confirm. The 3" tab won't hurt you right now, but they aren't going to do much either. Just reply on the liquid bleach to maintain the FC level and you'll be fine. Follow all the SLAM guidelines (link below) and it will work for you. Nice to have you with us.

Welcome! :wave:

650 CH is far from ideal, but easily do-able. By the time you get that pool cleared (Have you considered adding DE?} you will have backwashed away a good bit of it. It rains in the Summer where you are, correct? Grab what you can. It has no CH in it. I direct a raingutter downspout into my pool. The surface area it drains is about 3X the pool surface, so an inch of rain adds a lot to the pool. It's easy for me with an inground. If yours is aboveground, it might look kind of hillbilly and if the pool is a good distance from the house, not really possible.

That said... you'll just have to keep an eye in the CSI calculation on the bottom of poolmath. Keep it +/- .3 and there won't be any problem. Experiment a little. Plug in your numbers and look at the CSI. See what happens if the temperature goes up. Play with pH, TA, and CH and see how they effect the CSI. You'll see that the CH has less effect than you imagined. You can't do a lot about the temperature or the CH, so you'll just have to monitor TA and pH. Up to 800 CH it's really not hard at all.

Of more importance now is that CC. Keep on SLAMming. Don't neglect ladders and steps.
Think I may have found my FC demand issue?
Problem Found and Ideas needed
Water problems

I haven't adjusted the pH yet. We did get a lot of rain the last few days, hoping the ch will go down, and Cya will go up next test. The Fc was at zero all winter, it was left uncovered and super green when I started. I'm not really sure what cc is or what the number means, I'll have to read up on that.

Normally when a pool is left unattended that's green after winter with no CYA or FC, we worry about ammonia in the water. But if you were able to hold FC and CYA for any period of time without the CC going really high, then you are probably safe. Once you adjust/confirm pH, confirm CYA over the next 24-48 hours and maintain that FC of 12 as consistently as possible - especially the first couple days. That's critical. The CC (combined chlorine) is the residual chlorine after the FC has been killing-off organics and that CC is now waiting to be oxidized by the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.