My numbers using my NEW TF-100!

Jul 28, 2007
St. Louis
Hello, all!

Just received my TF-100 kit. great kit and instructions, thanks!

Water looks clear (don't know how it feels...68 degrees) Unfortunately, my numbers are very off and not sure what to do. Here ya go!

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
pH 7.5
T/A 320
CH
CYA 0

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, Ben,

1. You need CYA in your pool. Use Jason's calculator to bring your CYA to 60 or so. It'll take a few days to register on the test.

2. For the next couple of evenings, I would suggest one large jug of clorox into the pool. It's sort of a "safety net" to keep algae at bay until your CYA becomes effective.

As soon as you get a positive test for CYA. Adjust your SWG to keep 3-4ppm of chlorine in your pool all the time.

3. I suspect the TA test is innaccurate. Try that test again and this time use a damp cloth to wipe the dropper ti[p every 2-3 drops. Static electricity develops in the R-0009 resulting in very small drops and throws of the test results. The damp cloth eliminates that error virtually every time. I'm thinking your new result will end up in the 100's.

so just use some stabilizer, keep shocking and retest?
Well, sort of. Please calculate enough stabilizer to get to 60 ppm in your pool. Use Jason's calc in my sig.

"Keep shocking" has me just a little concerned. You are certainl;y not shocking with 0 FC. Nor will you be shocking by adding the Clorox I suggested. Shocking is a process using very large doses of chlorine to clear a pool of contaminants.

I don't see anything in your test results that indicate the need to shock so I am suggesting getting stabilizer in your pool because you cannot hold FC without it and adding a little clorox until your stabilizer can take effect.

Have you read the first few basic articles in Pool School?

You were correct on the T/A. With new procedure, T/A is 140.

I have added 87 oz. of stabilizer to my skimmer. As far as the Clorox- I have 12.5% liquid chlorinator titled 'Pro-Clor Pool Shock (hence me calling it 'shocking' the pool whenever I add any of this-sorry for the confusion). Will using half the amount of this have the same effect as a whole bottle of Chlorox? Please advise if I need to run out and actually get Chlorox or if this will do the trick. Will test again tomorrow and repost.

STLVinyl said:
You were correct on the T/A. With new procedure, T/A is 140.

I have added 87 oz. of stabilizer to my skimmer. As far as the Clorox- I have 12.5% liquid chlorinator titled 'Pro-Clor Pool Shock (hence me calling it 'shocking' the pool whenever I add any of this-sorry for the confusion). Will using half the amount of this have the same effect as a whole bottle of Chlorox? Please advise if I need to run out and actually get Chlorox or if this will do the trick. Will test again tomorrow and repost.

Yes, they are the same thing, liquid chlorine, your stuff is just twice the strength as Clorox. :goodjob: How many ounces are on the bottle? Is it a gallon jug? Clorox comes in 96 oz and 174 oz jugs. Use the Pool calculator to figure out how much to add, make sure you change the contentration in the box that has the % next to it, and then jug size. Calculate, and it will tell you how much to add.

With the CYA in the skimmer, do not backwash your filter for one week, retest the CYA in about 4-5 days. After 48 hours, assume the CYA you added is the current level and adjust your minimum FC level according to the CYA chart. Hope that makes sense?

Let's see if I have this right.
-add another 1/2 bottle of my liquid chlorinator tomorrow (Mon)
-recheck FC/pH daily
-should notice some results from in FC by Tuesday
-retest CYA Thursday.

One more question: currently my salt level is very low (2500). should I add salt now, or would that just be a waste until my CYA has stabilized?

Thanks again for all the great advice.

You can add the salt anytime, but I wouldn't turn the SWG on until the CYA and salt levels are in range. Just stick with Liquid chlorine until your water is balanced.

Use the pool calculator to know for sure how much to add. It may be 1/2 a jug, may be more, may be less. Test the FC level with the FAS-DPD test and then use the pool Calc to figure out your dosage. You want to have your FC at about 2-3 for now, by Tuesday you should assume the CYA is at 40 you want to target the FC at 3-5. The idea is to have it at about 5 for the start of the day so that by the end of the day you still have it at least at 3. You don't want it to drop below 3, get it? :wink:

With an SWG you will need to have the CYA higher than 40....so next week I assume you'll be upping it some more? See the water balance for SWG article and the Recommended levels article- you will want your CYA at 70-80.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are new numbers just taken 4pm CST 5/11.

FC 4.5
CC 0
TC 4.5
pH 7.2
T/A 120
CYA 70

I thought it looked much better today, so decided to take a full set of numbers. Great results! Anything I need to do to those? Otherwise, plan is to add salt (very low...2500).

Thanks again TFP!

Ben

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.