Upgrade filter - how to change inlet and outlet pipe spacing?

a34536

May 30, 2011
Dorset, UK
I'm upgrading my 16" side mount Lacron filter to a 24" side mount. The new (to me) filter does not have a multiport valve with it so I am planning to re-use my existing one. The 24" filter has the inlet and outlet 3" further apart than the 16"

That means I need to extend the filter outlet drop pipe from the multiport by 3". I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I've attached photos of my existing filter and multiport valve.

The outlet pipe seems to be screwed into the valve with PTFE tape providing the seal. I would have expected to see a half union here. Is this normal?

Normally, I'd chop the down pipe, add two couplers joined with a 3" piece of pipe. Or I could replace the moulded elbow with a standard elbow and a coupler to add some length.

Is there a better way to do it, perhaps with screw fittings instead?

Attachments

• IMG_20160509_210400 (2).jpg
    IMG_20160509_210400 (2).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20160509_210520.jpg
    IMG_20160509_210520.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 25
Actually "normal" is for the pipes that connect to the filter to be part of the multi-port valve.

In fact, the bulkhead fittings on the new filter may be designed to only attach to the matching backwash or multi-port valve. There may not be a way to connect pipe to them to even try to link up with your old valve.

I would recommend skipping the hassle and getting the correct valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.