Welcome to the swamp!

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
It's that time of year again! I'm debating spending some money on a "hard" loop-loc cover that will keep out rain and sunlight so the water doesn't look like this every time we open the pool.

lX6DTJpn2GyVN47DSSxnFwPCo3yrU9zDLW72dS1P2C0r9kbEhQB61jUyQ-ibG3sR4TKgL1KyHOL5noWXnku0i8LB04gLMqSfFGgPVwn8j_b9wylJ9PRKDni2iReQaPp8SHq63nE7Vwt_frgopz6JhII9KuSvxqFldSSWBU1DLKmck8J5rxnXbloBe_emdAWgubEovQGNJknkCUDrj_c66M28yylP8J_ht-o47JgwPIEI9NQ2hS8oAiZFYbD9fdEnJhwnPDXwsCg7WP3LykBnfP6bo5fhBe636aSo8FXVP-6baC7vnLCrADpCEbfAJ7sk_5kjXX3o8NirXjl31YbdDwCTO95TVsopvSKqhSIlsfdcxuKXdUNsJBXST2dr8D2yY4v_du84zwC4uH3P6Q_meub63JqxDiFoBIalArExMs1btZCRLSOlqiQDghg7RdYkRDPC7SEM3Nzbm_5fIvj4t3EYfzM5lV0Rq2RA-nANZ5cSI8oDvih2uSRYgZrOHyCyzPY1rR4f_4bNLm_S9_6vHmzku9f7DJGUfbDQLmcEt0eEY1PmCyEsaL4awUuVbtBuOJg17yrSWSZ-mTX6a6NRUpHCRTjx_oA=w992-h1322-no

A cover won't do much more than keep debris out.

If you follow the TFP methods and close/open early, more often than not, most have opened to blue water.

Good looking area btw. I have grasses like that but they are about 2 feet in size, wow those are huge!

Did you just open? We recommend opening before the water hits 60 degrees. That's about when algae likes to pick up.

Yes, today. I'll start the SLAM soon after the pool guys get done with the opening stuff. Never heard the 60 degree recommendation before, I'll think about that for next year. And as far as the cover goes, I was told that a cover that doesn't allow rain or sun in will keep the water clear until you open. Is that false?

yes it's false.

all it does is keep junk out of the pool.

The reason most pools turn green is lack of chlorine when the water gets to 60
then the algae starts.

Now if you do get a ton of leaves every winter then a cover will help.

organic matter sitting at the bottom won't be helping any when your ready to open.

Yes, today. I'll start the SLAM soon after the pool guys get done with the opening stuff. Never heard the 60 degree recommendation before, I'll think about that for next year. And as far as the cover goes, I was told that a cover that doesn't allow rain or sun in will keep the water clear until you open. Is that false?

I have a mesh cover and always open to clear water. I bring my pool up to SLAM level for closing and when I open I still have chlorine. I close after Halloween and open the third week in March every year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you only have a week or so to go. Still really cloudy, Don't stop now or the green meanie will rear it's ugly head!

- - - Updated - - -

For sure post another pic once you get the stuff cleaned up from the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.