Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling pool with rain water - do or don't ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling pool with rain water - do or don't ?

I have a way to redirect all water from the house roof (roof drain) to the pool. This will save me a lot in the water bills, but are there any downsides in doing it (I understand that water should be clean of dirt and debris) ?

Thanks,
    Igor.
    16K gallons Vinyl Inground with spill-over spa. 1.5 hp Pentair UltraFlow, 26" Pentair Meteor sand filter, Raypak Gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling pool with rain water - do or don't ?

We used about 5,000 Gallons from our 10,000 tank of rainwater to fill our 17000 gallon pool...
    don't know of any ill effects....
    Why rainwater may work for me... I collect with a standing seam metal roof. Have been using it for several years.
    The other water in my pool is hard, alkaline well-water. I usually tend to high Ph.
    Regards,
    Martha in Texas
    17K gl-15'X34' IG, Fiberglass, Pentair: Intelliflo VS 3HP pump, PAL 2000 underwater lights, DE60 filter, Intellichlor IC 20SWG, Poolvergnuegen Suction Pool Cleaner2009 build date; TC100

3. Back To Top    #3

I do know that some roofs are treated with zinc to prevent algae & mildew staining. I read cautions against letting such roof water go into fish ponds. I have no idea if zinc at that level might be bad for a pool, if you had that sort of shingle that is mildew proof.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Only down side I can think of is that most rain is acidic so that you will have to add chemicals to raise the pH -- I know my pool pH always drops after a heavy rain.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

5. Back To Top    #5

The advisability of using roof runoff for the swimming pool depends on the kind of roof and how old it is. this web site provides a quick overview of the various kinds of roofs and how safe water running off of them is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School