Adding Salt

Kit

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2016
Medford, Oregon
I have a relatively new saltwater spa. I seem to have adjusted the SWG to maintain a stable level of FC (i.e. 3 hour run time at 25% for 2,200 gal. spa). However, during the past month I have added 25 lbs of salt to maintain the recommended level of 3,400 ppm. Since the spa has an auto cover & is opened maybe for an hour every other day, I am curious why the salt level is dropping. Is this normal?

Thank you kindly.

Kit

You'll lose salt with splash out. Are you ever having to add water to the spa?

How are you testing the salt level?

Literally no splash out. The spa does have an auto-fill, but haven't heard it running. And with the auto cover closed virtually all of the time, I am assuming that evaporation is minimal. I am taking the salt level reading from the Easy Touch control panel.

Kit

I would suggest getting a dedicated salt test. I use Taylor's K-1766 salt kit, which is a drop based test.

My SWG thinks I have too much salt yet its right where it should be per the salt test. It just is confused, but happily continues on making chlorine :)

Salt does not evaporate so even if there is evaporation and refill the salt level remains the same. The only way to lose salt is splash out and carry out on wet people. Generally, if the SWG is making chlorine then be happy. If it gives a low salt error then add some. Temperature fluctuations can cause the salt reading to vary so if you are checking at different temps keep that in mind.

Salt does not evaporate so even if there is evaporation and refill the salt level remains the same. The only way to lose salt is splash out and carry out on wet people. Generally, if the SWG is making chlorine then be happy. If it gives a low salt error then add some. Temperature fluctuations can cause the salt reading to vary so if you are checking at different temps keep that in mind.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious --- salt does not evaporate. Geez, what was I thinking?? :)

I will think about getting a dedicated test kit for the salt level. If for no other reason, to verify the reading on the Easy Touch panel.

Thank you both for your help.

Kit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.