Smoked Pork Loin with a Cherry Maple Glaze

Dec 29, 2015
Chino/CA
So,

Going off of the other thread about brining, it got me curious about smoking a pork loin as I've pretty much smoked everything else but a loin!!

Went to the store and got a 4lb'er, I brined it for about 5 hours with salt, sugar, garlic, old bay, black pepper and ginger:

Pulled it out of the brine after 5 hours and trimmed it a bit and started on the glaze, maple syrup, cherry juice, apple juice, mustard and apple cider vinegar:

Brushed it on the loin and then sprinkled with dry spices: garlic powder, old bay, black pepper and ginger:

Then, off to the smoker!! Had it in there for about 3 hours using mesquite lump charcoal for the heat and pieces of cherry wood for flavor, basting it with glaze about once every hour:

All said and done!!!

For the sides, I did some garlic sauteed asparagus and some boxed potatoes au gratin (not pictured):

Nice!!! My wife somehow ends up bringing me a loin on a regular basis. She brings one home because "it was on sale", then asks for pulled pork. NOT the same, but I make it up and fight with it to get it shredded. Such a waste. I'll have to try this next time. Looks yummy, but if she doesn't like it maybe she'll remember what to get next time :)

Well, she may finally have it figured out, two times in a row now she brought home a boston butt and I'm supposed to be working on one of them right now, lol.

It was in the smoker for about 3 hours on the indirect heat side (pictured) then after 3 hours I placed it directly over the hot coals for about 5 minutes each side to get a nice char!!!

Temp, Im not exactly sure because I don't have a temp thermometer for the BBQ itself, but from past experience (using my char-grill duo w/ BBQ temp), I would say it was around 200f-210f

The main liquid for the brine is water.......I took about 6 cups of water and got it up to boiling on the stove and put about a 1/2 cup of salt and a 1/2 cup of sugar in the boiling water and let them both dissolve. Then once they dissolved I threw in a bunch of ice cubes to lower the water temp ASAP.......then I placed the loin in that foil pan and dumped the salt/sugar water in there too....added some fresh garlic, garlic powder, black pepper, old bay and ginger. Placed the entire thing into the fridge for 5 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.