Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Testing with TFP Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Testing with TFP Test Kit

I need clarification on using CYA testing tube. When I fill it with the solution I can no longer see the black dot when the cylinder if filled to the 30 mark but the pool store stated that my CYA level is 100. The instructions state that this test is the most subjective but I'm not sure if I am reading is correctly. How can I know if I'm reading it right/correctly?
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Testing with TFP Test Kit

First, it is quite common for pool stores to give incorrect test results. With a top quality test kit and only a day or two of practice, nearly everyone is a better tester than the great majority of pool stores. You should trust your results over the pool store results.

If the black dot is still slightly visible when the vial is not quite full, and only disappears when then vial is full, then the CYA reading is quite low, either 20 or 30 depending on which test vial you have.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Check out this link for hints on the CYA test:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Ch...P?ContentID=44
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Jasonlion and Poolmom,

Thanks so much. I'll go with the TFP kit test results and add CYA with Trichlor tabs.
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets