Oops, pumped DE into pool

Apr 29, 2013
I was in the process of precoating my filter with Diatomaceous Earth. However, I had left both return line valves to the pool open. One shunts water through the filter and the other directly to the pool. I should have had the return valve to the POOL off. Upon adding the six pounds of DE to the SKIMMER poolside I noticed the jets shooting out white DE. Some made it to the filter, but most made it directly back to the pool.
I am going to suck it up. It has been said that DE is potentially a Carcinogen. Does this create the need to empty the pool? Do I need to pre coat again? This was a stupid oversight, but Asi es la vida!

I was in the process of precoating my filter with Diatomaceous Earth. However, I had left both return line valves to the pool open. One shunts water through the filter and the other directly to the pool. I should have had the return valve to the POOL off. Upon adding the six pounds of DE to the SKIMMER poolside I noticed the jets shooting out white DE. Some made it to the filter, but most made it directly back to the pool.
I am going to suck it up. It has been said that DE is potentially a Carcinogen. Does this create the need to empty the pool? Do I need to pre coat again? This was a stupid oversight, but Asi es la vida!
DE is only a carcinogen when inhaled. Just vacuum it up and it will coat the filter in the process.

For what it's worth, I don't think DE is a carcinogen (cancer causing). However the particles are sharp and shouldn't be breathed as it will irritate your lungs, which can cause problems to people who are chronically exposed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.