First pool owner with chlorine question

FirstVallartaPool

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2016
Puerto Vallarta mexico
I inherited a 20 kilo (44 pound) industrial chlorine powder container brand new that came from previous owners professional pool service company. Is it safe to assume its cal-hypo? Its extremely strong and powerful (fumes etc). Is it also safe to assume it is probably in the 65% range when doing my chemical math when adding it to the pool?
They also left behind a container of pool acidet (I assume for lowering Ph) and also a large jug of what I assume to be clarifer.
Thanks all!
(Tf100 kit on way in 2 months)

Not sure I would assume anything about what you inherited someone may have a better idea but if you want to be able to use them with confidence how about getting a couple of gallons of distilled water and add a small amount of each mystery power to each gallon and run some tests on it with the Tf100 when you get it.

I'm not back at house till July. My friend is managing and testing with a basic 2 part (Ph /chlorine) kit till I get there. I don't recall any labels on it but will take a better look when I get back there. Whatever type of chlorine it is I imagine its very common in that area as its a relatively small pool town. This is what most if not all pro pool service companies use there.
So far Ph and chlorine is doing well with filter running for 2 hours a day. I did math on pool and pump size and I should be recycling the entire pool water approximately every hour.

I was originally thinking something similar to what is described in this post you will have to figure out the dilution method to convert weight to volume. The most important determination is what is in that stuff once you know what is in it you can use your pool to help you determine how strong it is. It will be much easier to determine strength with the large volume of the pool testing before and after to get a ballpark % FC rise, pH drop, CH rise, CYA rise depending on what you find is in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.