Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

May 5, 2014
St. Louis, MO
This is the 2nd year and first time pulling the cover off of our pool since it was completed last April.
We pulled it off this weekend because all the kids were away with family. The water was clearer than I had thought, however, pool company doesn't come to open for another week and a half.
Should I just be pouring bleach in until they come?
9387ce7dcb7075ca51c9f0cf3a661dd4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a newbie myself, so can't offer much help, but just wanted to say that's a beautiful pool!

Not sure if it's worth dumping chemicals in if it's not going to circulate, will let the experts speak to that. You already look to be light-years ahead of where I'm at, I'd personally just scoop/brush at this point, maybe let the robot wander if you have one, that way you're as clean as you can be when the water starts moving and you toss in the bleach. But like I said, my two cents are probably worth less than 1 cent right now :)

I would. And then brush to mix it up well. especially at the waterline. The water will be warmer at the surface so that's where I'd expect algae to start. Maybe 2 ppm per day. How much that is volume-wise depends on the strength of the bleach. It looks like Walmart's got some deal on 10% in the pool section, and Menards (If you have them) has an even better sale going on 12.5%. Otherwise, standard 8.25% laundry bleach will work.

great pool! i see you have a TF100 test kit already. Are the pumps not running yet then since it hasnt been opened?

i would get some bleach/chlorine and keep your FC around 3-5ppm for now until you get everythign running, with cooler water you may only need to add 2ppm worth each day maybe. you can brush the pool each day to circulate the chlorine. once the pumps get running you will need to run a full set of tests with your TF100 and make changes from there. i would NOT let the pool company add ANY chemicals to the pool when they come out.

I would. And then brush to mix it up well. especially at the waterline. The water will be warmer at the surface so that's where I'd expect algae to start. Maybe 2 ppm per day. How much that is volume-wise depends on the strength of the bleach. It looks like Walmart's got some deal on 10% in the pool section, and Menards (If you have them) has an even better sale going on 12.5%. Otherwise, standard 8.25% laundry bleach will work.

Thanks for the reply. I've stocked up on Wal-Mart brand (8.25) and some from Sam's, in preparation for the big SLAM. I'll have to figure out how much 2ppm will be.

great pool! i see you have a TF100 test kit already. Are the pumps not running yet then since it hasnt been opened?

i would get some bleach/chlorine and keep your FC around 3-5ppm for now until you get everythign running, with cooler water you may only need to add 2ppm worth each day maybe. you can brush the pool each day to circulate the chlorine. once the pumps get running you will need to run a full set of tests with your TF100 and make changes from there. i would NOT let the pool company add ANY chemicals to the pool when they come out.

Thank you! No, the pumps are not on. I have no idea how to start it up, however, when they come, I'll be taking notes so I can do it myself next year.
Funny, I told them I just needed help starting up the system and did not want any chemicals. They didn't seem to quite compute that. I'll have to reconfirm when they're here.

I'll go ahead and test for FC after a few jugs and brushing.

Opening up a pool is a breeze assuming they aren't removing pumps in the fall. Ask plenty of questions and maybe grab some videos.

Good guidance above. In a more normal, warmer year you may have had a green pool by now. Last year our water was 75 two days from now with no auxiliary heating.

Thank you! No, the pumps are not on. I have no idea how to start it up, however, when they come, I'll be taking notes so I can do it myself next year.
Funny, I told them I just needed help starting up the system and did not want any chemicals. They didn't seem to quite compute that. I'll have to reconfirm when they're here.

I'll go ahead and test for FC after a few jugs and brushing.

next year you can close yourself, its not too complicated and there is a very detailed instruction/photos on here to help :)

Thanks for the help everyone. Pool isn't as clear but it's not green yet. I talked the pool company into coming tomorrow [emoji106]
Yes, I am looking forward to taking full control over my pool and not have to rely on anyone.
I'll be watching, writing and taking video tomorrow for sure. Come fall when it's time to close, I don't know how confident I'll be but I'll sure I can figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.