Top not level but water depth is.. almost, is it safe?

May 9, 2016
UK
Hi

Due to soft ground on one side my poles have sunk by a couple of inches so the surface to liner measurement is out on this side to the opposite by 2 1/2 inches BUT the depth of the water measured from the same two opposite spots is only 2 cm (excuse mixing my scales) - I don't understand the physics of this to know whether the pool is safe or not.

To me it seems like the top edge of a bag of water should be able to vary quite a bit and that its the volume of water I should be worried about, but I see a lot of people measuring from surface to liner as opposed to to depth, so maybe I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

j

Hello J and welcome to TFP! :wave: Here at TFP, we generally say that our above ground pools should be level with a variance of about 1 inch. That's measured across the top of the pool and water surface since we know that no matter what's happening with the structure or ground, water will always remain level. Being 2 1/2 inches now, our concern would be the amount of pressure applied to the short-sided wall and any increased possibility of collapse. We surely wouldn't want that to happen. Ground settling is a frustrating occurrence after a pool is set-up, and we see this happen many times each year. In most cases, we recommend stabilizing and re-leveling the structure for the safety of the swimmers and the structures nearby.

You may be able to lift each post with a helper or two and slide another paver under it. I would definitely try to slide a 2" paver under the posts.

You may be able to lift each post with a helper or two and slide another paver under it. I would definitely try to slide a 2" paver under the posts.

Wow that would be a result, I just took some slabs out from elsewhere in the garden.

Think it will need something like 4 people though!

If only I could get the car jack under it or something....

Might have to let some water out.

Thanks!

Definitely drain some water out to do this repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.