K 1766 drop test or strips for salt level?

Lykly

Gold Supporter
Nov 6, 2015
Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Are the test strips adequate for testing salt levels for SWG, or should I get the K 1766 drop test kit? thx

Re: K 1776 drop test or strips for salt level?

Yes, I've been using the strips from TFTestkits.net for years. They are really just a sanity to check to get you in the ballpark to make sure your SWG isn't giving you a false low salt error.

I guess I better change my evil ways since I'm outvoted 3 to 1! :-D
AND my strips are expired! Oh, the shame!

I have used both. I prefer the accuracy of the K-1766.

The argentometric method is a direct measure of chloride concentration. It only measures chlorides as the other interferences are fairly rare (not much cyanide in most post people's pool water). It can be made more or less precise by simply increasing or decreasing the sample size. The chemicals are fairly stable and will last a long time if properly stored. The endpoint is easily seen and visually distinct.

Strips are a proxy method of determining chloride concentration. They rely on the differences in capillarity caused by TDS levels in water which is somewhat similar to boiling/freezing point changes. Since salt is the largest component of TDS in pool water, a capillarity strip will closely follow the salt concentration. The problem is capillarity can be affected by other factor like temperature and manufacturing defects in the strips. So every batch of strips needs to be calibrated and statistically measured to produce the lookup chart for column height versus chloride concentration. Strips are a lot cheaper than the K-1766 but are typically not much better than +/-500ppm in their tolerance. They can also easily go bad from humidity exposure without any outward sign.

K 1776 drop test or strips for salt level?

I ordered the K1766 kit tonight, figured I needed it since I also ordered my AQR15 T15 SWG as well. Pretty pumped to install it. I've only been adding bleach a couple of weeks and I am ready for the SWG. Maybe it's because I've been using one of my hot tub for almost 5 years, and I know how nice they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added salt a few hours ago, and circulated my pool. I get a reading of 2600 ppm with the K1766 kit. Finally have something to get a good guess on my pool size, looks like it is 15,000 gallons based on the salt I added, 320 pounds. Actually comes out to about 14,750, but my pool could probably easily hold 250 gallons of water from evaporation. We are expecting a good bit of rain tonight. Is this long enough to get an accurate reading? I will wait until tomorrow night to check it again before adding any more salt. I think I am shooting for a 3000 ppm for AQR15 SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

OK, waiting another 24 hours definitely made a difference. the K1776 kit now shows 3000 ppm. Waiting 24 hrs the salt went from 2600 ppm to 3000 ppm. I think I will wait until tomorrow to add any additional salt to be sure it is all registering. After that test, assuming it remains at 3000 ppm, I will add the required amount to obtain 3200 ppm. My pool is getting smaller all the time! LOL It appears, based on the addition of salt, my pool is around 13K. I like the clear no mistake color change of the K1766 test kit.

wow.... Sorry about this.... Can a mod please correct the title of this thread?

Salt stabilized at 3000 after one more night. So I'm assuming I have around a 13K pool. I added 22 more pounds tonight which should get me to 3200 ppm. Now just waiting to hook up generator, hopefully by this weekend.

FYI, my Taylor kit measured about 600ppm higher than my SWG did right out of the box. And has been consistently so. Which is right? Who knows ;)

I added salt so that the SWG was happy around 3200 ... even though my test was often measuring 4000.

Wow, what does SWG do you have? My apologies if it's in your signature, I'm looking at this on my phone which does not show signatures. I have it plumbed in, but it should be wired in Friday morning and I'm hoping it is operational then.

I have the AQR 15, probably experience the same.......we will soon see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.