Child Safety Devices?

Apr 18, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I know this doesn't have anything to do with the chemistry of my water or general maintenance of the pool and equipment, but I was hoping someone might be able to help me here. I have a 2 yr. old boy who just recently started getting out of bed on his own, and since we bought a house with a pool that's not fenced in, other then the fence around the entire back yard, we want to make sure that he can't get out to the water if he should happen to get up in the middle of the night. We have a sliding glass patio door that seems to have had (in the past) two types of safety devices that no longer work, so we have been using half a broom stick to put in the track of the door, so he can't open it more than a few inches (hasn't figured that out yet, but does know how to unlock the sliding door, he's a smart one) however, we want something that for one, automatically locks (never know when you might forget to put the broom stick in the track), and automatically closes the door. The home inspector told us before we bought the home that these types of locks were common and could be found at any pool supply shop. We haven't found anything at the pool supply shop or hardware shops where we've looked, we even looked on Amazon, nothing there either and they usually have everything. So, does anyone know of something that will automatically close and lock a sliding glass door, but can also be unlocked from the outside with a high handle so that we don't lock ourselves out, and where to get such a system?

To be honest I have ner heard of such a device. I'm not saying there is not one, just I have never seen it discussed.

You have a few options -

- A safety fence installed around the pool. This involves core drilling the patio and installing pipes (like fence posts) which suport a safety fence aroudn the pool. They are easily removed by adults to access the pool.

- A pool safety net like this Pool Nets | Pool Safety Nets Covers | Katchakid There are several manufacturers, this was just an easy link to show what they are

- Alarms on doors and windows that access the pool area. TECHKO Safe Pool Alarm-S187D - The Home Depot Again, an easy lnk - there are many manufacturers.

If your inspector says they are readily available, give him a call and ask where. Another source of information is a professional home inspectors forum. Here is the best going - The Inspector's Journal Forums - Active Topics

Hope this helps

We redid the doors in our home with "pool code" locks - essentially deadbolts hung 30" below the top of the door frame. Impossible for anyone under the age of 10 or so (unless your kid is abnormally tall) to reach. All doors in our home have these deadbolts. Any major door/window service company should be able to retrofit a door with them easily. I suspect many of them would have options for self-latching locks (although it will be annoying to all adults in the home ;) )

The safety Products out there are Pool Fences, Pool Nets, Pool Covers (manual & auto) Door alarms pool alarms and self closing doors.

Any of these is safer than nothing.

Personal I recommend a barrier between the child and the pool so Pool Alarms are the lowest form of protection.

Door alarms are my second lowest recommendation because people grow tired or get use to false alarms. This leads to the alarms being taken down. Trust me the alarm section at home depot is half filled with return alarms.

There are self closing slider systems are out there http://doorclosingsystems.com/residential-doors/

Pool Cover, Nets and fences are all good but the decision becomes a personal one. What fits your personality best. This site is only good for the San Diego area but shows all the products. http://poolguardsd.com/products/

Auto pool covers are really the best of both worlds. Safety and easy of use. But Unfortunately they really do cost that much. 7-10 k Investment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.