Anyone familiar with or have used Bioguard Backup to kill water bugs?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
It's listed as an algecide, but has gotten some pretty good reviews as a water bug (backswimmers, boatmans, etc.) killer. I've noticed some water bugs over the last few weeks in my pool and netting them out is just not effective bc more are right back in the pool the next day. So I decided to give it a try, it called for 9 ounces (startup dose) for my pool but I only used 6 ounces (I always use less than what's called for when trying a new product just in case I don't like it). I put it in yesterday morning and was expecting all the bugs to be dead today, but I still noticed them swimming around this afternoon. Maybe I didn't give it enough time to work effectively? Anybody knows how long it takes to kill them off once put in the pool? Maybe I didn't put enough, but I'm guessing I didn't give it long enough time to work?

I assume you have adequate FC in the water?
Fair question...actually I just got my new salt cell in and installed it Friday. Still tweaking the percentage output and run time. Checked it today and it was at 2, so I'm a little on the low side. I had it hovering around 6-8 all last week though. Increased the percentage output from 20% to 35% on the control box and will retest tomorrow afternoon to see where I stand.

Update:

Just thought I'd bump this in case anyone else was having trouble with water bugs (backswimmers, boatmans, etc) in their pool. The Bioguard Backup 2 worked PERFECTLY (besides a little bubbles from the waterfalls) and killed ALL the bugs in the pool!!! I put 6 ounces in the first day, which was less than what it called for because I'm usually paranoid about putting too much of a new product in my pool and then not liking the results or having unwanted negative results. Well, I came back that first day and they were still swimming around all over. So I did a little more reasearch and people were saying that they were putting the whole 32 ounce bottle in their pool. So I gave it one more shot and put HALF (16 ounces) in the pool yesterday morning, when I got back home from work, I took a look in the pool expecting them to be swimming around still but NOPE, they were all on the bottom dead! Finally I could rejoice lol! Put the Dolphin to work and 2.5 hours later the pool is crystal clear, actually clearer than it has ever been!

Just FYI, my chlorine level was maintained at 6, ran the Dolphin daily (sometimes 2-3x a day), scrubbed daily, and it STILL was enough to kill these bugs! I kept my water in perfect balance too with my Taylor test kit. So, I was desperate, I am going to do a weekly maintenance dose of 4 ounce and see if that is enough to keep them gone for the season.

That product is a linear quat algaecide. We normally don't recommend their use because they are fairly weak algaecides and they break down easily from chlorine which can lead to foamy water. I'm glad you got rid of the bugs though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.