Finding leak in vinyl pool

Annettebjrd

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2016
Lafayette Louisiana
Need suggestions on finding a leak in my above ground vinyl pool.  I visually inspected the entire pool from the deck but don't see anything obvious.  I know I need to get in and inspect up close, but trying to narrow down the area since the water is still pretty cold ?.

We had to hire someone with an electronic leak finder. The hole was TINY and I had looked and looked. I would not have found it without them. The wet place where the we say the water was on the other side of the pool from the leak!

I had to call around to find them but it was worth it after DAYS of diving and looking. They said "it is right here" while standing on the side of the pool with their machine. I got in and found it right away since I knew where to look. It was tiny!

Kim:cat:

Maybe turn off pump and drop some floating things in to see where they go? Maybe ping pong balls? You could weigh some down with tape or hot glue so some float in the middle of the pool and some near the bottom. Maybe you get lucky and one catches the current? No clue, just brainstorming.

Maybe use a food safe dye in still water and watch the flow? Maybe it points you towards it?

I used American Leak Detection once. Several hundred dollars, but fast, professional, and perfect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.