New pool build/setup underlayer - question about root system under pool

May 8, 2016
Fullerton, CA
We have these horrible plants in our backyard, I've tried to get rid of them were they crop up and grow to large shrubbery size, and they're impossible to kill completely. I kept cutting them back but they resprout from these runners beneath the ground. They have an EXTENSIVE root system. We ended up digging up some today after hours of back breaking work, and we found 10-12 foot long root runners going horizontally across the lawn that led to a central node/trunk. 40 lb dog for scale:
20160508_145101.jpg
There's tiny sprouts coming up from these plants polka-dotting our entire property and we have dogs, as well as fruit trees, so we can't exactly KILL EVERYTHING. I've worked hard to get ANY grass to grow here too - we're in the socal desert. I am CURSING whoever planted these. I believe they CAN grow to tree-sized. They start as tiny sprouts, many feet away from the node below ground. They are taking over my tomato plant bed, even though i can't find their roots!
20160508_145119.jpg20160508_145143.jpg

I don't mind killing everything with weed killer under the pool footprint, plus or minus a few feet perimeter, but these runners probably span the entire yard, we got to one node that was like a tree trunk - it would need heavy equipment to dig out - but it was about a foot below ground.
The rub: Does anybody have any idea what I would have to put under the pool to keep these out? That is AFFORDABLE? I got the pool because it was on sale for under $200 and this is turning into a pain but I don't want to ruin my investment and I do really want the pool! We have no AC and it's almost summer. The plan right now was to get a lot of weed killer, dump it everywhere i can within the 16 foot diameter footprint we dig out - when i can keep my dogs away from it for a day, then do the leveling with clean dirt and a sand layer before putting the pool up. Now I'm not so sure we could keep these out from under the pool - every where within 10 foot perimeter of the pool these plants still exist though smaller. Other than that, the soil is sandy and not rocky. I'm not sure how deep they go from the ground level, perhaps not deeper than 1 foot.

To add, we don't have a lot of money, but I do want this pool to last and not have to blow another $200 on that, so that's pretty much the long term care budget. We may eventually upgrade, but >$200 is a lot to us right now.

I would dig a trench around the base tree and cut any and all roots you find. I think I would go out about 5 feet or so. I would then pour weed killer in the trench.

I would also dig up all of the off shoots and do a small circle around them doing the same thing. It will be hard work but I hope this will stop them.

For under your pool-----roofing felt! It works GREAT as a weed block!

Kim:cat:

I would dig a trench around the base tree and cut any and all roots you find. I think I would go out about 5 feet or so. I would then pour weed killer in the trench.

I would also dig up all of the off shoots and do a small circle around them doing the same thing. It will be hard work but I hope this will stop them.

For under your pool-----roofing felt! It works GREAT as a weed block!

Thank you! I hadn't heard of this option yet I was looking at the insulation foam - seems it will be pricy for 176 sqft
It'll definitely be some work, but I think I can do it, then backfill the holes with clean dirt.

So It's okay to use something waterproof under the pool? I was reading some websites that said you'll get trapped water, condensation and then mold under it if it can't drain.
Should I still do sand under that? Will it be an issue that this area i'm leveling is a little lower than the rest of the yard now? OR should I absolutely be sure to built it up a little with extra dirt or sand?
Sorry so many questions. It was going to be so simple, but I wasn't sure a heavy duty tarp was the way to go after reading up a lot.

NO building up allowed. The weight of the water will compact it and your pool will end up unlevel. Level to the lowest spot. You can always put something pretty like river rock to help with water flow from rain and splash out.

People use the foam pieces all of the time with no problem so..........

See my post from last week.
Roots

The only problem I can't exactly repeat what you did, I don't have a chainsaw lying around :p Even if I did I'm not train in using one, bit scary to me.
But I will be doing my best with a shovel and a pickaxe.

I guess I will go with a lot of weed killer, then either some rigid foam or the roofing felt?

Kimkat: Would this product seem to do?:GAF Tri-Ply 39 in. x 97-1/2 ft. (316 sq. ft.) Modified Bitumen Rolled Roofing in Black-3389000 - The Home Depot Seems like some googling led me this is used to block weeds in landscaping and gardens. My only concern would be how far to overlap the rows? Tape them together? This would definitely be cheaper than rigid foam. But the foam would lift it back up an inch or something maybe help with water?
Not that it rains much here lol :p

Oh yeah! That is what I would use. I would over lap and tape so they do not shift apart. Overlap about 3 inches or so.

Dirt-even if it is the same dirt you still loosened it up so it will not be as solid as it was before. You can water it and compact it some but it may still move.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.