Just bought a house with a pool

JJV79

May 8, 2016
Lincoln/Nebraska
So purchased a house with an AG pool, but wasn't hooked up when moved in. Just spent the day hooking up the filter and pump and filling the pool(it was half full when I took the cover off and was rather clear). I purchased a Taylor k-2006 test kit and collected all my levels:

CYA <0 (I filled the tube up but was never able to get the black dot to disappear)
PH 7.5
CC .5
FC .5
TC 1
CH 300
TA 190

Now I have just started the filtration, netting the leaves off the top and started vacuuming the pool bottom. Just wanted to know what my next step should be? I haven't added anything to the pool except water, I know the CYA should be around 30-50.
Thanks.

Welcome! :wave:

With zero CYA, target FC is 3. So use pool math to tell how much that is and add it. Hint: 89 ounces of standard 8.25% bleach. Eyeball 3/4 of a jug.

Then you want to raise CYA. Pick a number between 30 and 50 and plug that in as your target in poolmath. I'd suggest you aim low, just in case the pool isn't as big as you think. Add the granules using the sock method.

Tomorrow, you'll need to add more bleach. Target 3 until the CYA socks are almost fully dissolved, then target 5.

What to add, where to buy, how to add: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to figure amounts: Pool School - PoolMath

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

I would go 30 ppm on CYA for now. Keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at ALL times, 7.5-7.8 is better. Always keep your FC at target and never let it drop below minimum, below minimum leaves your pool unsanitary and will let algae grow, Chlorine CYA Chart

Then when your ready to learn more start here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks for the help and advice! I punched in my numbers in the PoolMath and bought bleach from Walmart. I just had a quick question, I didn't realize how tedious vacuuming the pool could be with the filter having to backwash it after it gets full of junk from vacuuming. Should i wait till my pool is vacuumed before adding the bleach, i was thinking with all the backwashing could i be just draining out the bleach that i just added?
Thanks again.

Thanks for the help and advice! I punched in my numbers in the PoolMath and bought bleach from Walmart. I just had a quick question, I didn't realize how tedious vacuuming the pool could be with the filter having to backwash it after it gets full of junk from vacuuming. Should i wait till my pool is vacuumed before adding the bleach, i was thinking with all the backwashing could i be just draining out the bleach that i just added?
Thanks again.
For the big stuff, yeah. Get the chunks out but don't wait until it's sparkling to add bleach, because it never will be until you add bleach. In fact, if you set the valve on the filter to waste, whatever you vacuum up will go straight out the waste port bypassing the filter completely. You'll lose more water that way, but it sure is faster than backwashing all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.