Just opening and have a few questions

tcasto

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Bucks County PA
Hello again! We are later with taking the cover off of our pool here in eastern PA and we opened up to a swamp. I bought a bag of salt and a jug of liquid chlorine from the pool store today (yes mother's day!) I checked the numbers using my Taylor kit and I had a couple of surprises:
FC 0
Ph 7.0 (probably lower - yikes)
CYA - would not register - (where did it go?) (was about 50 last year)
TA 60
SALT 1600 (it disappeared too) (was 3600)
questions:
Would the CYA reading be affected by the temperature of the water? It is cold! 53 degrees
Or would it be affected by the PH being so low?
How much salt should I add to raise it to 3400 - 3600?

Thanks for being there and Happy Mother's Day!

Your CYA reading should not be overly affected by the cold. Bring your pH up to 7.2 and then follow these instructions to check to see if you have had a CYA to ammonia conversion over the winter. Do not add any CYA until you follow these steps:

1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level (FC of 10). If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50% after 10 minutes, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm. Use the "sock soaking method" for granular stabilizer.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Good morning!
I followed the above directions for determining if there was a conversion to ammonia over the winter and there was not. So I started SLAMing the pool and it turned blue pretty quickly, especially after a good vacuuming. But the chlorine was still disappearing, so the slam continued. The chlorine has been holding pretty steady for two days. I am figuring that any daytime loss is due to the sun and lack of CYA. So I put 9 lbs of CYA (in socks)as per Pool Math in order to get it from 0 to 50, a conservative goal for now.
Current numbers:
FC 7
CC 0
PH 7.5
CYA 0 (it really is zero - multiple tests taken multiple times since we opened)
TA 120
SALT 3600
The pool is looking good - it just needs some warmer weather. Pool water is hovering around 59/60 - just warm enough for the SWG to work

Next steps?
Do I sit tight for a week, keeping an eye on the FC levels until the CYA can register? or
Do I add Muratic Acid and aerate to fix the TA?
The white steps have a slight yellow hue which I had last year until I cleaned it with vitamin C tablets in a sock. Is there another way of doing that? It's a little cold for taking a dip to do it so it might have to wait a few weeks.
As always,
Thanks for being there - T

1. Test and add every couple days at least, not weekly.

2. TA is fine, if your pH goes up, you'll kind of slowly do the TA lower thing.

3. I've heard of people using PVC to keep vitamin C tablets in place, maybe a sock PVC combo? Sock over PVC with a rubber band, and drop the tablets down the tube?

Thanks for your reply! :D
I usually test at least every other day at the beginning until I get the SWG chlorine output in a groove. The SWG usually handles the everyday Chlorine needs and I just supplement it with the trusty clorox when needed. Now that the water is just warm enough for the SWG, as long as I don't get a dead animal or other biohazard in my pool, I won't be needing it. :)

Thanks for the TA advice - I find that process tricky.

As far as the PVC pipe for the vitamin C tablets, it is an intriguing idea. I think I will give the project to my 15 year old McGyver fan son and see what he comes up with. If not, I will just wait until it is warm enough to take care of. :)
Have a great week! T

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.