Newbie-Test kit question

Apr 4, 2009
Central Jersey
OK- I am a total newbie. I have been viewing this site for a while and am trying to absorb all of the info I can. I purchased Leslie's DPD Deluxe test kit and realized that I got the homeowner version not the service version. (significantly less $$, BTW). This kit does not test for CH or CYA. Do I need to buy another kit so that I can test for these levels regularly?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Carneymom and welcome to the forum :wave:

Have you already used the kit and not able to return it? :?

If you can return it, get either the TF100 from TFTESTKITS.Net (link in my sig and on home page) or the Taylor K-2006.
Best bang for the buck and THE best service is TF 100 Testkit. Test Kits compared here in Pool School.

Yes, you will need to test for CYA.

Also, you will need to know your CH, but you could probably wing that info from the pool store. The range is so wide, it is not nearly as important in a vinyl pool.

Others will chime in on your test kit options :wink:

If you can't return it, you can supplement it with just the FAS-DPD test from TF test kits or Taylor's website. Since you have an AG pool, the CH is not as much a concern, though you should have an idea of what your CH levels are, mainly if they are too high...

frustratedpoolmom said:
If you can't return it, you can supplement it with just the FAS-DPD test from TF test kits or Taylor's website. Since you have an AG pool, the CH is not as much a concern, though you should have an idea of what your CH levels are, mainly if they are too high...
However not being able to test for CYA is going to be a problem.

waterbear said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
However not being able to test for CYA is going to be a problem.

Missed that one.... :oops: My mind was elsewhere :hammer:

It really depends. If you are having CYA issues and it needs adjusting, then the TF-100 kit will give you the best bang for the buck because it comes with more reagent. They also sell that seperately as well, so you could supplement your kit with the FAS-DPD test and the CYA test, if you can't return the one you have.

If CYA levels are stable and you aren't adding any via trichlor/dichlor use, you can test it once or twice a year, if you have a cartridge filter. Sand filters and DE filters are backwashed, so they have to replace that water with fresh water, which causes the CYA level to drop over the season, so those type of filters would require the CYA test more often than a cart filter.

I would not rely on Pool stores for testing CYA - they are often inaccurate or don't even bother to test for it. There was a thread yesterday about a pool store that told him his CYA was 140. Turns out it was zero. Can you imagine if it had been the otherway around and he added CYA when it was really 140???!

Anyway, first preference would be return it, if you can't then order those two tests individually.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.