Overshot on borates advice to others.

Sidecarist

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2015
Dayton, TN
I added borate to my pool using 20 mule team and acid. I had no problems lowering my TA down to 40 using the advice of others here. Thank you all.

Now the borates comments.

The 20 mule team borax I bought in Walmart is now in 4lb 1oz (65oz)boxes. Another post lists the boxes at 4lb 12oz. Please look at your boxes for weight when purchasing.

Pool math did a perfect job calculating the pH adjustments both with acid and borax, but it seems to under estimate the required borax to get to a ppm level. This may be a more difficult calculation, or the 20 mule team borax may vary in its borax content.

My estimation from pool math told me I needed 309oz of MA and 648oz of 20 mule team borax (9.9 boxes). I decided that doing it in 1/3 increments hold work easily. I added 3 boxes ant 100oz of acid twice. Started to add the last boxes and stopped after the first one (box 7) add 30oz of acid and called it quits as I wanted to measure all my levels before finishing up.

This morning I was surprised to find that my Lamotte test strip show 80ppm borates. This is the only borates the pool has ever seen. I'm not worried as the dog doesn't drink from the pool and we have no kids. All other levels great. It's easy enough to do and the only real concern is adding that much acid at one time. But the whole experience gave me an excuse to brush the pool thoroughly.

Take your time adding the borax it seems that it may have greater effect per oz than estimated by pool math. I know that pool math is just an estimating tool, but I for one get so used to it being highly accurate. As good as it is I think it's impossible to keep up sometimes inconsistent products like I'm guessing 20 mule team borax may be.

Final numbers are
FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 250
CYA 60
SALT 3800
Borate 80
TEMP 72degF

Thanks again to all for your great advice and help. This is my first pool and I purchased it with several problems. I went to the pool store ONCE and ever since have been using TFP.

Thanks to you all the pool looks great and more importantly is IS great.

I can't see 80 hurting anything. Other than 30-50 being the most mentioned I'm pretty sure I've seen 80 mentioned as the upper end of the desired range. It will slowly drop anyway, so I can't see worrying about it.

I had BIG issues with those test strips. I usually have no problems matching colors, but the shades on those are too close, too time sensitive, sensitive on shaking off water, etc. You look to have a very complete kit and may want to also try the borate drop test. Worked great for me!!!! Post #104, currently the last post, has great instructions from Joyfulnoise.

New borate drop test at piscines-apollo vs. test strip - Page 6

Thanks. I not worried about he level from the postsame I read. More that I want others to low to take it slow on adding them. I thought I want still overshot. That is based on the strip and they are hard to read. All 5 strips all gave me the same indication so I think I'm at 80ppm, or close to it...

Sooo, now that you completed it do you like any difference? Some don't seem to notice anything and others do. My wife for sure said the water felt much softer. I noticed the nice change in the additional "sparkle" off the surface, even more of a rainbow/prism effect when the sun hits the rippling surface I didn't notice as much before. It also certainly seems to help keep my Ph pegged where I want it, but I also made many changes in the same time period so I'm not real sure what all to attribute to what, lol.

I can't say about the feel. I simply haven't had time to get in the pool. Besides that we didn't use it much last year because of travel etc we were away a lot and I don't have much to compare to.

It does look a bit more sparkling and today is full sun so it really jumps out at you. So far so good. The big reason for doing it was pH stability. I travel a lot for work and my wife isn't comfortable with adding MA. If it gives me the stability that others see I'll be super happy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.