First ever Pool Test...and not the last!

derryank

Gold Supporter
Apr 4, 2015
Boston MA
First ever test....my apologies in advance...here goes...

Test conditions.... New England-Raining-50°F

FC-0.5

CC-0.5

TC-1.0

CH-75ppm

TA-80

CYA-crystal clear-tested 4 times and continues to present the 'black dot.'

K-1000 test results

CL/BR- 0.5-1

PH-8.2

Lastly, I did not perform the Salt Water test. I do have the kit here, however I'm unsure how to perform this test.

I'll look at Pool math in the a.m. However, thanks everyone for your help and patience... Here's to a healthy and fun summer---(once I get this pool thingy).

Cheers, Derryank.

12,000 Gal,IG Vinyl,Pentair 1HP Dynamo,Pentair SD40,Pentair Intellichlor SWG,Dolphin Nautilus, TF-100

Great job on the testing! Now to interpret the results! When you enter all the results into Poolmath it will tell you what to do to lower the pH, increase your CYA and increase your Chlorine.

nice, just plug those numbers in poolmath under "now" column and put the recommended level you want (down at the bottom of poolmath) and then put that level in the target column :)

attachment.php

You left out a biggie: what does the water look like?

If it's green and you have no CYA, there's a slight chance the CYA degraded into ammonia over the winter. If it's a fresh fill, we'd expect to see no CYA since it doesn't occur naturally. I don't want to get into a whole long description of the next steps without knowing the background, otherwise a simple answer might become a confusing longwinded post.

Hi Richard... My apologies. It's a fresh fill. The pool is crystal clear.

Thanks for the help

12,000 Gal,IG Vinyl,Pentair 1HP Dynamo,Pentair SD40,Pentair Intellichlor SWG,Dolphin Nautilus, TF-100
Well then it's easy to get things fixed up!

With no CYA in the water, your target FC is 3. That's just under half a 121 oz jug of 8.25% bleach. Less if you have some stronger stuff handy. You can just eyeball that amount. It'll all be gone in a few hours anyway, but that's normal and expected at this point.

Your pH may actually be higher than 8.2. Anything above that reads as 8.2. So don't assume you did something wrong if you add the called-for 20 fluid ounces of acid and it's still at 8.2. Just repeat it.

Adding CYA is pretty straightforward. 4 lbs of the granular stuff will take you to 40. So pour the whole canister into a sock or two and set it in the skimmer or dangle it off a pole in front of a return.

In order... Add acid with the pump running. Brush a few times in different directions to get it all mixed. Then fumble with the CYA and the socks. By the time you're done messing with that, the pH should be fixed, or at least close. Recheck it and see if you need moire acid. If yes, add. If no, move on to bleach.

The CYA will take a day or two to dissolve all the way, so it's a special case. Otherwise, give yourself 15 minutes or so between chemical additions. Brushing ensures it's well distributed.

As soon as the pH is between 7.2 and 7.8 and you have some Chlorine in the water, it's safe to swim.

When the CYA is dissolved, your new target FC will be 5 and your minimum is 3. You might need to target a little higher or lower to ensure the FC doesn't dip below 3 before you add again. Time and testing will tell you that.

Look at you doing the tests and posting the results! NICE! How is the PH doing? Is it behaving and going down like it should? The socks with the CYA can be tied off to a chair or even tied to a noodle and left to float around the pool BUT hanging in front of the return will make it dissolve faster. Make sure to keep it out of little one's hands. You can put it in a bucket of water while they are in the water and pour the water into the pool and rehang the sock once they get out.

:hug:

Kim:cat:

Hi all....no bleach yet...just getting around to it now...busy doing Mothers day!! :)

Quick question... Even though it's a SW pool...step 1 is still bleach?

Hi all....no bleach yet...just getting around to it now...busy doing Mothers day!! :)

Quick question... Even though it's a SW pool...step 1 is still bleach?

Yes. Get it running and balanced as a bleach pool, then add the salt, then turn on the SWG and stop using bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bleach pool first means...turning off the Salt Water generator!!

Step 2.....20 fluid oz's of Muriatic Acid-to lower the PH to 7.2 to 7.8

Step 3.....CYA 4lbs...I think I have this in tablet form? --- 3" chlorinating tablets? If not...I'll need a trip to the pool store

Bleach pool first means...turning off the Salt Water generator!!

Step 2.....20 fluid oz's of Muriatic Acid-to lower the PH to 7.2 to 7.8

Step 3.....CYA 4lbs...I think I have this in tablet form? --- 3" chlorinating tablets? If not...I'll need a trip to the pool store

The tablets have chlorine as well as CYA and they're very acidic. Are you ready to try juggling three parameters at once? To raise CYA where you want using pucks would mean adding about 100 FC to the pool. That will bleach your liner and they're slow dissolving, so figure about a month. Go buy the granular stabilizer. They sell it at Lowes and Walmart and places like that.

Look at you doing the tests and posting the results! NICE! How is the PH doing? Is it behaving and going down like it should? The socks with the CYA can be tied off to a chair or even tied to a noodle and left to float around the pool BUT hanging in front of the return will make it dissolve faster. Make sure to keep it out of little one's hands. You can put it in a bucket of water while they are in the water and pour the water into the pool and rehang the sock once they get out.

:hug:

Kim:cat:
Thanks Kimkats...actually rather excited learning a whole new language/concept.

However I need to reiterate how grateful I am for yourself and others-ahem, Richard, for your sincere assistance for those in need.

Thanks so much

Happy days Richard...let's see how I get on....

Update...the socks are installed. One in the skimmer and one in front of the return.

THANK YOU so much!!!

Squeezed the socks this morning! Nearly all gone now...the pool is still greenish? I'm assuming this is normal and within the 48 hour period.

I'm headed over to Pool math now to see the FC levels

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.