First-timer using TFP methods

C

cfrench

WOW--wish I had found this site a couple of years ago, quite impressive amount of knowledge and tools for the average owner for sure...

BTW--
Thanks in advance for any help or advice--it is greatly appreciated.

So--heres my story, apologies for length--
About 2 wks ago I was riding the fence as to whether I would pay pool guy to drain my swamp and get pool ready for summer AGAIN, or DIY it.
For the last 2 or 3 years, we have turned pumps off around Sept/Oct, and let the pool just sit all winter. Then around April we have it completely drained, bleach and acid washed, and refilled. Pretty much maintained it myself all summer, w pool guy coming in once or twice to check chems, give a thorough vacuuming etc...
This maintenance "plan" has cost $2-3 grand every year, and I am SICK of it...
So decided to do it myself this year. After spending a couple weeks online, I came across this site and really like the methods you guys have developed. Well done, sirs.

Anyway, after sitting all winter, pool was just gross. It looked and smelled like a swamp. For sure, we had developed a habitat for several types of creatures.
I rented a pump from Home Depot two weeks ago, and drained it. There was no way I would ever convince wife and kids that the water was safe to re-use, as nasty as it was.
Plus I probably wouldn't have found the plastic "dog" pool and missing patio chair cushion that both ended up at the bottom, until it was too late.

After draining, and then scooping out buckets of thick organic material, I washed the bottom and sides w bleach to kill any residual algae.
I was left w a very course tan/off-white deposit on all the vertical faces of the pool and steps. I was told in previous years by pool tech that this was a deposit left by algae, and needed acid washing to remove. I did a basic acid wash, but still had substantial deposits afterwards. Brushing w stainless brush or pumice block removed about 30% of deposits.
By now pool had been empty for almost 2 weeks, we were forecast heavy rains (again) so out of fear of "floating" the pool, I decided to leave it and re-fill.

Pool finally filled last weekend, and decided to test "tap" water before adding anything, and then proceed based on PoolMath and recommended levels for SWG in PoolSchool.

First test was done after filling 7 days ago & returned the following results--NOTHING has been added, no salt, nothing--
FC 0.03
TC 0.43
pH 7.7
TA 79
CH 111
CYA 3

Based on PoolMath, I started by immediately adding 1.5 gal Clorox into return streams, added about 1.5lbs of CYA tied up in a sock into EACH skimmer (3lbs), bought a 50lb bag of calcium (smallest I could find) and added about 2-3lbs into the deep end everyday after work this week-added about 1/2 of 50lb bag this week. Added 1/2 gal of bleach midweek, and have been adding 2 or 3 bags of salt every evening as well. Have been brushing sides and bottom every couple of days to push any dirt to main drain. Very little reduction in wall deposits.

Overall--water looks great, very clear blue.
After 7 days, I took another sample and have the following--
FC 0.13
TC 0.29
pH 8.3
TA 92
CH 182
CYA 22

It literally took all week for the CYA to dissolve -- there was still a small amount left this morning when I check it, after 7 days. I dumped out the residual and added the rest of the CYA to the sock in the skimmer-about 1 lb.
I added another 1.5 gal of bleach, threw another couple of pounds of Ca in deep end, and added about 1/3 gal of muriatic acid to return water flow.

What has driven the pH and TA so high over the week? Other than what was listed--absolutely nothing was added.
Would all the Ca drive up the alkalinity?

Salt level has finally gotten over 3ppm, so I intend to turn on SWG tomorrow.
I was more than a little surprised that there was not more TC as well.

Thanks again for any advice.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, you've done some reading here and for that we commend you for your effort. First question I have to ask because I didn't notice it above... what test kit did you use for those readings? We don't normally see readings broken-down like that into the 10th position. Usually it's just whole numbers using the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. So we need to know how you got those readings.

Aside from that, the links below in my sig list the recommended chemicals, levels, and Chlorine/CYA chart to manage your levels. It's odd that your stabilizer took so long to dissolve. It should only take one day when left soaking in a sock near a return yet. Maybe you can expand on that for us? Your pH is extremely high and should be down in the mid-7s. Your CH is low for a plaster pool, probably because of the new water - same for your CYA. If FC is actually ".13" that's very low as well and should be more around the 4-5 range.

But before you take action to adjust, we'd feel much better knowing what test kit you used. We'll do all we can to help guide you from there. Glad to have you with us.

Splash--
Appreciate the response--
And since I have been reading, I know your not gonna like the answers I give ya, but it is what it is.

Test results are from two different local pool supply companies-- I took two different samples, same day, to two different suppliers across town.
Both of them use a computerized water analysis system, one uses something called ClearCare, the other something different.
The print outs they gave me w results were similar to w/in a point or so in each category.

Until I get a TF-100 in, I have to reply on these results.
After reading a bit on here, I figured out pretty quickly the Super-Pro Basic 4 OTO test kit my pool supplier sold me last year ($50) is not gonna cut it. Not nearly precise enough.
Otherwise-- I printed out the charts and recommended levels in your links this past week, and have been using them as a reference.

I was surprised the CYA took so long to dissolve--but I checked the socks every evening.
For sure, the volume of CYA decreased every day, and would billow out a cloud of CYA into the skimmer if I squeezed the sock.
But w pumps running 8a to 8p daily, it took all week to dissolve about 1.5 lbs in each skimmer.

No doubt, CH and CYA levels are results of new fill--but I fully expected to see higher TC levels after adding 2 gals of bleach over the last week.
More so, I was quite surprised to see pH level and TA had risen so high when tested today, with nothing added all week other than bleach, Ca, Salt and CYA.
But like I said, I took sample to 2 different stores and got very similar results.

Should have a "real" test kit in sometime this week, and will post those #'s when I have them.

Understood. No problem. And just to compare ..... I feed my 18K pool 1/2 gallon of bleach each evening. So I go through about 2.5 gallons from Mon - Fri. But that's based on a healthy 2 to 2.5 ppm of FC expended each day. If I added 2-3 gallons in just one day, I would over-shoot my FC target and much of it would be wasted to the sun since it was over my current CYA. Just something to consider as you learn more here about what we do at TFP. Once you get the proper kit, the clouds will open and a light will shine on you. ha. It's amazing what we learn about our water once we test it properly. Have a good evening.

You are off to an awesome start! Ordering the good test kit will allow you to be free of the "service" and your pool will look better than it has ever looked before.

Now for the wife and others do NOT say you use "bleach" in your pool. Call it chlorine or pool shock. WE know it is the same stuff but some people just do not understand that and tend to :shock: when they hear you use BLEACH in your pool LOL

I have something for you:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

I have this printed out and by my test kit.

:hug:

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.