More chemical questions

bhubb

Jan 4, 2016
KS
ok I took my water sample in to a local pool place... They read my free chlorine at 3.5 and my total chlorine of 4.4 so advised I shocked to remove the combined chlorine... They are telling me to put 15 bags of their "Burnout 35" in it.. They pointed me to the display and they were almost $8.00 each.. needless to say I bought none. I understand the bleach in the pool to keep free chlorine out but how do I remove/lower the combined chlorine ?

Also they read my CYA at 151 and they told me as long as it is under 200 it is fine. I have turned off my chlorinator until I figure all this stuff out and going to purchase all the bleach.

ok I get around 100 - 125 CYA so I am going to drain and refill and then shock so I do not have to reach 40 FC.

Is it a safe assumption to make that the CYA was probably that high because the previous owners did not monitor it and did not do partial drain and refills while running Trichlor tabs and dichlor granules.

I know I probably raised it some running the chlorinator (same as previous owners) but couldn't imagine in less than a month it went up from 50 to 100+?

I would imagine it would take several months to raise it up that high again?

Each 8oz trichlor puck raises CYA by 3 ppm. For every 1 ppm of FC added with trichlor 0.6 ppm of CYA is added. So, if your pool uses 3 ppm FC per day then pucks add 54 ppm CYA per month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.