Calcium scale? Build up for approximately 8 years?

FirstVallartaPool

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2016
Puerto Vallarta mexico
Our new adopted pool in vallarta was built approximately 10 years ago so I assume the mineral build up on the tiles above the water line are somewhere in the 8 year and going time frame. I've tried some recommended solutions such as 300 grit sand paper, muriatic acid but have not been able to make a big dent (sandpaper somewhat).
Any suggestions would be most welcome!
20160103_180306.jpg

Pumice stone and elbow grease will remove the water line scale if acid won't. It sounds awful -- like fingernails on a chalkboard -- but surprisingly it doesn't scratch tiles. The pumice is real soft, though, and wears down fast and leaves heaps of pumice dust on the floor of the pool for you to vacuum up later.

Wet/dry sand paper is fine too. To avoid it in the future maintain your CSI slightly negative, -0.1 to -0.3. I had issues with scale on the waterline tile a couple of years ago and it hasn't been back since. Enter all your numbers in Poolmath and it will give you a CSI score. Tweak PH, TA and CH to adjust it. If your PH tends to rise then keep your TA lower (60-80) to help slow the rise.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
And here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.