Algae problem

May 7, 2016
Dallas, TX
Yesterday we had algae show up. We have a 14,800 gal pool with Pebbletec and a basic test kit. I just ordered the recommended test kit last night. All we have right now is a basic test kit. I checked the chlorine level yesterday and it was essentially zero. The test water had a slight yellow tinge to it. The alkalinity was 80 ppm and the pH was 7.6.

I back washed the DE filter yesterday and added 1 lb of granular "shock" to the pool at the recommendation of the local pool place until I could bring a sample in, brushed the pool, added more chlorine tablets to the in line chlorinator, and left the pump running continuously. I also added 5 caps of phosfree. Then I started researching and came across TFP.

I took a water sample in this morning to the pool place and these are the results:
FC .13 ppm
TC 1.95ppm
CC 1.82 ppm
pH 7.5
hardness 211 ppm
alkalinity 59 ppm
CYA 65 ppm
copper 0 ppm
iron 0 ppm

i added 4 lbs of baking soda (I use that instead of alkalinity up) when I got back from the pool store at their recommendation. I am trying to figure out how much 6% bleach to add. I looked it up in how to slam the pool and saw I need to take it up to 25 ppm. I don't have a test kit that can test that high and I am nervous about taking it up that high. Right now the pool water is clear and there is a small amount of brownish algae on the flat parts of the pool. The pool looks a lot better today than yesterday but I know the algae isn't killed.

I would love love any help you all can provide.

Welcome to the forum. STOP adding anything containing CYA-------pucks, dichlor and such.

I'd add enough bleach to take your FC to 12 or 14-------ASSUME you'll lose 3 ppm FC each day and add that much bleach back to it daily (about a gallon) until your kit arrives.

Thanks for the response. I used the pool calculator and added 363 gal of 6% bleach. I will stop using the pucks and anything else other than bleach. We have a lot of trees and our pool doesn't get a lot of direct sun light. It is only full sun for about 45 minutes. Even with limited sun is it still a good assumption we loose 3 ppm of FC per day? Also, long term if you just use bleach and no pucks, how do you manage chlorine levels if you go out of town for 5-7 days?

Raise the Fc close to SLAM level and use a puck floater until you get back. Be nice to have a friend take a peek at once or twice to clear skimmers and such too. Close to 3 is a good approximation for Dallas. You still won't be anywhere near full SLAM level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.