Help me select my new robotic slave!

Scout101

Aug 18, 2015
North Kingstown, RI
New pool owner, can check out my (mis)adventures in the other forum. I've got a roughly kindey-shaped 40k gallon SWG pool, and am looking to pick up a robotic cleaner to help clean this up and then maintain the pool. Looked around online, and am immediately confused. Million different names for very similar products, no two units are the same, ugh. Seems Maytronics/Dolphin is the consensus brand to go with, but looking for help narrowing things down.

In no particular order, a couple I had been looking at on Amazon were:

Dolphin Deluxe 4 ($750)
Dolphin Nautilus Plus ($695)
Dolphin Triton ($820)

Million other similar names, and i don't think any of those even show up on the Dolphin website. What a mess! Also looks like there are variable reports on whether warranties for stuff bought on Amazon are any good/honored. Thoughts on any other models (or brands) I'm not listing? Worth it to go to the pool store and likely overpay?

Lost on this one...

Dolphin likes to play it both ways with their warranted products / model names with some being exclusive to traditional pool stores, some sold over the internet, and some exclusives for the big mail order pool suppliers. A lot of the times these are similar models, just with a small item changed up, like longer cord, or variable timer, ...

Any better buying through somewhere like epicpoolsupply vice Amazon? They appear to have a couple similar models. Don't know that I can talk myself into the $1200 range, but seem to be some in the 700-800 range that should be decent choices, right?

Don't really care about timers and schedules, don't intend to leave it in the pool longer than it takes to clean it. Seems like a questionable choice for the long term health of electronics.

Thanks, was able to dig that thread out. Should consider pinning it in this forum!

Entertainingly, checked out sunplay after reading that. Right after the article telling us that several models are identical/same unit with different paint, you click to shop and see that they have those identical units all priced differently :lol:

They've got the Triton for under $800, seeming like it could be a good play.

Any better buying through somewhere like epicpoolsupply vice Amazon? They appear to have a couple similar models.

I think if it was me I'd rather buy from somewhere like epic instead of Amazon. I was on an online chat with them a while back asking about cleaner warranties and the gal essentially said they only list cleaners on their site that have a valid warranty because otherwise they'd have to stand behind it and warranty it themselves. Not sure if thats true with amazon or ebay or those kinds of places because there's so many different sellers listing stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't help you much, I have the Z5 and it doesn't appear on your list. Make sure you get one with top loading filter cartridges rather than a bag, it makes all the difference in the world in my experience, I've had both. The bags are a pain.

I bought mine from Epic, and validated with Maytronics that they will warranty the Z5 when purchased from Epic.

Probably not original, but my friends named mine "the angry dolphin"

Any thoughts on EpicPoolSupply vs. Sunplay? Still kinda focused on the Triton, looks like Sunplay has it for about $60 cheaper. Know Epic will match, but just wondering if it's worth going through that or just buying from Sunplay, and if there's really much difference.

Thanks!

Annoyingly, was about to buy one through Epic, but asked about their price match policy since Sunplay sells the same one for $789 vice the $849 Epic wants. ($820 seems to be the standard number everywhere else). They said it was below their cost and wouldn't match, so looking like I'll go with Sunplay. Just have a check in to make sure that the unit will have the warranty honored by Maytronics as an accepted vendor or model that's ok to sell online or whatever.

But I keep staring at the Neptune Plus for $685 while I'm looking at the Triton. For the extra $100, seems like Triton should be better plus has a caddy, but any thoughts on that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.