Adding Borax.... how long of a wait before swimming?

MrDude

May 8, 2009
Tracy,California
First off ....great site !!!! :goodjob:

Im still trying to figure out my pool and chemistry. My Ph is about 6.6 so i have a few boxes im going to add I was just wondering how long before the kids can go swimming in it? Will 4 boxes of 20 mule be enuff to bring up my ph?

Some numbers..

Pool is about 18000 gallons

Cl is about 5.6
PH 6.6
Alk 105

Welcome to TFP!

If your pool has good circulation, then 30 minutes would be more than adequate to be safe.

You can use The Pool Calculator to estimate. 4 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax with your numbers should raise the pH to around 7.1 to 7.2. The "Now" and "Target" pink area for pH does estimate 373 ounces weight (almost 5 boxes) of Borax needed to get to a pH of 7.5 which is a good place to start (a more accurate calculation gives around 5-1/2 boxes). Note that you will have more Borates in your pool and that will increase the amount of acid or base needed to move the pH in the future. With the borax, you'll be adding around 20 ppm Borates to the pool.

Since you don't want to overshoot, start with the 4 boxes and after a half-hour remeasure the pH. Even at 7.2, that's not bad if the kids want to start swimming right away. The aeration of the water will probably have the pH rise some anyway, especially if you ask your kids to splash around. :-D

Richard

chem geek said:
Welcome to TFP!

If your pool has good circulation, then 30 minutes would be more than adequate to be safe.

You can use The Pool Calculator to estimate. 4 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax with your numbers should raise the pH to around 7.1 to 7.2. The "Now" and "Target" pink area for pH does estimate 373 ounces weight (almost 5 boxes) of Borax needed to get to a pH of 7.5 which is a good place to start (a more accurate calculation gives around 5-1/2 boxes). Note that you will have more Borates in your pool and that will increase the amount of acid or base needed to move the pH in the future. With the borax, you'll be adding around 20 ppm Borates to the pool.

Since you don't want to overshoot, start with the 4 boxes and after a half-hour remeasure the pH. Even at 7.2, that's not bad if the kids want to start swimming right away. The aeration of the water will probably have the pH rise some anyway, especially if you ask your kids to splash around. :-D

Richard

Thanks for the info Richard. Will start dropping the borax now....just wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark. Would hate to kill anyone :shock:

Well, okay, did the kids go in and if "yes", how much splashing did they do?! :mrgreen:

What is the weight/ounces in your box of 20 Mule Team Borax?

Do you have some Muriatic Acid on hand?

What is your CYA level?

We'll help you get your pool balanced soon!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.