Sealing Travertine Pavers

Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles
My deck is composed of tumbled travertine pavers, and I have left it unsealed mainly because i do not want it to become slippery. For anyone with experience with sealing a travertine deck, does doing so make it slippery, or do you just have to get the right kind of sealer to make sure it does not get slippery?

If you use a sealer, water will stand on the pavers. For me this is an advantage because it tends to sheet over to the drains rather than pool on the deck. I do not find this makes our stones slippery because they have a lot of natural texture. We used the DuPont Stonetech and are very pleased. My seven year old slipped once while running but that was a lesson learned. :rolleyes:

DuPont StoneTech OR DryTreat 40sk are both "penetrating" sealants. The sealant liquid is applied/mopped onto the stone surface and allowed to sit for a short period of time. You then sponge it off and let it dry. The process allows the sealant to penetrate the porous stone and the curing process let's the sealant chemistry bond to stone material and create a water-impermeable layer WITHIN the stone. This is supposed to leave the surface texture the same although the stone color can change slightly.

Depending on weather conditions, sealants do need to be reapplied on a regular basis. Usually every few years or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.