Can't keep BR levels up in spa

welbo

Apr 14, 2016
College Station, TX
Two part question:
Background- 220gal jacuzzi, 2 speed, cartridge filter, filled in March with city water, TA and pH balanced to 70 TA and pH stable around 7.5 when aeriating. It is a tub we were given which I replaced the pump and some plumbing but never did an ahhh-some treatment to. I added sodium bromide according to the bottle to 30 ppm. I am keeping a spreadsheet with my daily tests and chemical additions but I had some misunderstandings in the beginning before reading enough and at one point I think I over-chlorinated with bleach to somewhere in the 25 ppm cl area and may have burned through all of my sodium bromide.

I have been testing with OTO because I do not know how to interpret the FAS-DPD test from my K-2006C kit. I've seen some conflicting information here, but it seems the OTO is regarded as a safe test. So here are my two questions:

1. I want to buy some R-0872 so I can test specifically BR. The other parts I need are in my K-2006C kit, I think. Is there a date stamp on these products I can check to make sure I'm not buying something several years old?

2. The chlorine/bromine level situation has me scratching my head. I am vigorously adding chlorine 10% bleach at 100mL at a time to try and get the levels up and cannot seem to get them above 2 ppm on the OTO test. Pool math indicates 25mL should raise the level 4 ppm. The tub was stable at 5 ppm for a while before I decided to add the sodium bromide and was stable for a few days of treatment after the sodium bromide. It acted like I would have predicted. But something has happened that is keeping the levels low.

I'm afraid I have confused the situation so much I may have to drain it and start over. I hate to have to redo to borax and TA treatments, but at least it is small so it won't take much.

The spreadsheet is really wide and wouldn't be easily viewable here but I will try and post the file. It is a google doc.

Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.

I've been gone for a week and getting tests and chemicals added by my wife so I haven't filled in the results from the last week yet.

hey there, ok, you are mixing things :) I think literally, you need to pick what system you want :)

Chlorine: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

Bromine: How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)

Now I went from bromine, to chlorine, now I am using a SWG for chlorine... I did get some strange reading during the transition and I just pushed through them.. I did a SLAM for my hot tub and kept it there until all testing was normal, then let it drift down and checked all tests and adjusted from there...

I hope this helps :)

No problem :)

Most of the time you use MPS with bromine but it can be done many ways, I just went straight chlorine because it was way easier and worked better than bromine ever did... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.