Northstar pump replacement

Malco

May 7, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
I think my old Hayward 1.5hp Northstar pump has bit the dust. The motor is fine (we replaced that 2 years ago), but it is barely sucking water. I think the impeller may be broken based on the fact I fished a part of it out. So, at this point I am thinking of replacing the whole thing. I found a couple sites online that still sell the pump for like $360.

So here's my dilemma. Do I replace like for like knowing that all my ins/outs will line up and I'll be stuck with the Northstar pump (which is a pain to work on I hear)? Do I replace with a newer/better pump system? And if so, does anyone know which Hayward pump would be considered a drop-in to the Northstar?

I am not sure about a direct replacement pump but it should be pretty easy to replace any parts that are broken. There are only a couple other pieces (impeller, diffuser and impeller ring) and more than likely it is the impeller ring that broke up and that is very cheap and easy to replace. But you will need to take apart the wet end to make sure. The OEM impeller rings are usually a dark grey in color. What was the color of the piece you pulled out?

Hayward SPX3021R Impeller Ring Part for Tristar Northstar Super II Pool Pump | eBay

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.