Comment on DE and DE scoops

NJ-Bob

Silver Supporter
Jun 15, 2014
Bridgewater, NJ
I just read many posts on measuring DE and using DE scoops, most from 2012 and 2014 and have some comments.

1) I believe the dry bulk density of 20 lbs/cu.ft. cited by JamesW [and is in an EP Minerals data sheet, attached] is an "unpacked" density. So if you load your scoop and pack it to cram as much DE into the filter as possible, you may be loading too much DE. Whether it is critical or not depends on how much the DE can be compressed, how many backwashes you do before cleaning, and how well you slurry the DE into the skimmer. (I would guess packed, unslurried DE might lead to very uneven coatings)

2) Not all scoops have the same volume. I saw 48 ounces cited a few times, 24 ounces once, and several comments about how much weight a person's scoop holds without giving the volume. I bought a scoop last fall and called the store a few days ago when I realized it had not markings. I was told it was probably 2 cups..."which would be a pound". Turns out is is 4 cups plus 4 ounces which is, at the 20 lbs/cu.ft. density, is .75 pounds.

3) As JamesW said in a few posts, the 20 lbs/cu.ft. equates closely to 48 fluid ounces per pound. So unless you like to use a scale, it seems the best way to measure out the DE is multiply the number of pounds you need by 48 fl.oz./lb and divide by the number of fluid ounces your scoop holds. And don't pack it.

[The opinion on not packing is partly based on what I learned in an engineering course on the properties and handling of powders on an industrial scale. However that was over 30 years ago and I have forgotten over 90% of what I learned so feel free to disagree].

Attachments

• EP Celatom Tech Sheet.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 7
My suggestion it is to buy a cheap digital kitchen scale from Amazon, they have numerous models that weigh up to 11 pounds for under $10. Just make sure to get one you can see the readout , DE has very low density so you often need to weigh in a large container, I use a styrofoam ice chest. Weighing the common 1 pound DE scoops find I have of a 50% variation depending on how I pack the scoop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.