New pool owner, can I do this?

Thanks, yeah I've been referencing those ... if the volute is indeed part of the actual strainer pot housing, then there is definitely no small slit in that part ... it's solid plastic all the way around the bottom. One other thing I've noticed, the placement of my diffuser plate is different from the manual picture, almost completely upside down from the photo. Doubt that matters, just thought I'd mention it.

I'm most concerned about where that broken o-ring came from. I've removed the impeller now, it's clean .. but it looks like maybe that o-ring was seated on the back portion of the impeller where it meets inside the seal plate. Does that make sense?

The drain can be in the diffuser or the seal plate. It just depends on the design. I am not quite sure where it is on that design but if you post some pictures of the parts, I might be able to point it out to you.

The washer looks like the piece they put on the motor shaft but that should not be in the pump housing.

. One other thing I've noticed, the placement of my diffuser plate is different from the manual picture, almost completely upside down from the photo.
That could matter if the recirculation path is in the diffuser.

The drain can be in the diffuser or the seal plate. It just depends on the design. I am not quite sure where it is on that design but if you post some pictures of the parts, I might be able to point it out to you.

The washer looks like the piece they put on the motor shaft but that should not be in the pump housing.

That could matter if the recirculation path is in the diffuser.

More pics coming shortly. The only place where that washer would fit is over the threaded bolt that the impeller screws onto ... and based on a parts layout that I found for my pump called "seal set" that seems like it could be the right spot.

I still see no small slit on the seal plate or diffuser .. I'm having trouble loading pics all the sudden.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a limit to how many pictures I can post? I'm getting a size error from TFP .. I decreased the file size but still getting the error. Mark, can I email the diffuser/seal plate pics to you?

There is a chance that pump does not have a specific channel for recirculation. Not all pumps do. Some just rely on the slop between the impeller and the diffuser to recirculate water. Perhaps that washer was preventing some of the recirculation from occuring.

Yeah I have SCOURED over the strainer pot housing, the impeller, the seal plate and the diffuser and do not see a small slit or hole anywhere ... nothing. So I'm headed to get a new washer and will put everything back together and give it a try. I'll touch base in a couple of hours. Thanks!

Make sure the diffuser is oriented correctly although I would be surprised if you could install that one upside down.

When reconnecting the pump, do I need to have the bottom two hex bolts threaded thru the base bracket and then into the motor side or just straight into the motor side and then set it down on the base? I didnt notice how it was mounted when I took it apart (dummy me!).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adding pics-become a supporting member-more pics and helps us keep the lights on to help you and others OR you can use photo bucket and use the IMG code.

I am learning through your thread. Equipment is my weak area. Thanks for helping me learn!

Kim:cat:

Does this drawing help:

SuperFlo.jpg

I'm sorry, not sure what you mean by the "out" .... I have disconnected both the skimmer and main drain lines, connected a PVC pipe and ran that straight into the pool and still got no suction. In a separate test I also was able to send water manually with a hose from the pump back to the pool thru my sk/md lines, so I do not think I have a clog in those lines.

Sorry shodges, I was referring to the outlet from the pump, if there is a downstream blockage/valve closed the pump cant actually pump, it may be able to clear the little water from the strainer basket out but nowhere near enough volume to suck from the pool and prime/run. I would expect you would hear some unusual noises from the pump though if this was the case.

I've been looking at that one all along, thanks Mark.

Update: I took the pump apart, inspected the impeller, replaced the o-rings on the two drain plugs (one was missing, the other was nearly rotted) and then reattached everything, primed the pump andddddddd ... no change. Still no suction. One thing that I did not say earlier, the previous owners did NOT winterize the pool - the drain plugs were left in the pump with some water inside of it ... and yes we had plenty of cold nights this winter. I inspected the strainer pot carefully for cracks, same with the strainer pot lid, etc. Didnt see anything.

Stopped by our local independently owned pool store today and they're just as stumped as we are. The pump was bought new from them in 2008, FYI.

Man I am beyond frustrated with this thing and not sure where to turn next.

One more question I probably should have asked before. How high is the pump relative to the pool water level?

One more question I probably should have asked before. How high is the pump relative to the pool water level?

Yeah Splash asked that earlier in the thread too ... .approx 4-6" higher than the skimmer I'd say.

- - - Updated - - -

The pool store folks seem pretty sure it must be pulling air from somewhere. They were talking about where the suction line meets the pump or the possibility of a crack in the strainer pot.

When you had the pump apart, you did check the impeller vanes for blockage too right?

Also, do you have a valve on the suction side on the pump?

I feel for you there shodges. Just curious .. did anything on THIS VIDEO seem different from what you experienced with your pump? When you tried the pump after re-build, did you use the temp line (straight back to the water) or connect it to the original suction lines? One last thing I can think of trying .... Ugh ...... if that temp line didn't work on the suction side, what if you connected it to the pump outlet and re-connected the original suction lines? Just by-pass the entire filter for a minute? This way, there is absolutely NO back-pressure just in case something odd is preventing the water from passing through. I thought we ruled that out earlier with various filter settings, but if that multiport valve is toast (or something else inside), it may be worth trying - especially if the previous owners didn't really winterize properly. Once your able to catch your breath again, let us know. :grrrr: Next to straight lines in & out with nothing in between but a pump, I don't see how it can't move water?!!!!

Dynamic head causes back pressure so if the pump does not prime and there is no water flow out of the pump, there cannot be any back pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.