HELP - Fixing Builders Tile Placement - URGENT Wetedge coming tomorrow

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi, We are having our plaster pool resurfaced with wetedge and the contractors placed the tile earlier today and when I went to check it out, after they left - i had issues with the symmetry. I sent the PB the pictures below and they are coming back tomorrow AM before Wetedge comes to reset the tiles.
In the bench area, i think it's obvious that there are tiles that are too close together and tiles that are farther apart.
In the stairs, I'm bothered that they didn't use the original tile as a basis and created their own line of symmetry. But we have weird stairs, they are curved and I'm not sure which way these diamonds should turn. I've mocked up a picture below with a red line for each tile, to represent the center of the diamond. Does this make sense
Below are the original pattern- which was 4 blue squares shaped into a diamond and the new pattern, are single squares, mostly b/c they didn't have tile to match the original and i thought the new tile was too light compared to our perimeter tile

PLEASE HELP - Are my red line placements correct on how the tiles should point?

Attachments

• IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 20160506_180440.jpg
    20160506_180440.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 20160506_180531.jpg
    20160506_180531.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 20160506_180531red.jpg
    20160506_180531red.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 170
looks like they just threw them in there just eyeballing them and called it good... go out and actually use a ruler or string line and a permanent marker and draw a line where you want them :) it is getting covered so no issues there...

looks like they just threw them in there just eyeballing them and called it good... go out and actually use a ruler or string line and a permanent marker and draw a line where you want them :) it is getting covered so no issues there...

Thanks for replying, do you think my red line placement makes sense? i just want to make sure they are pointing in the right direction :)

My personal feeling is there is more than one right way to do it, and what they did is not one of them. Personally I would probably pick a radiant point from about where you were standing when you took the photo and align them along a snap line from there with equal spacing out from the midpoint. However without a wider view it is hard to say what would look best. An alternative might be to radius them with the curve of the individual step, something it looks like they tried to do, but messed up on the spacing symmetry. Either way I would try to have it marked up with exact position and angle you want for when they get there.

The crew came out this morning and moved about 10 tiles. Looks much more symmetrical. Thanks for helping confirm I wasnt crazy :)

Attachments

• 20160507_091112.jpg
    20160507_091112.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 124
  • 20160507_091012.jpg
    20160507_091012.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 123
So here the kicker. After all that adjustment, the wet edge guys removed all of them because they were set too low. We didn't see then until the were done, and they had to be adjusted after again It was a nightmare, but now it's done and I'm trying to understand if the blotchiness is normal. I'll probably start another thread for that :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So here the kicker. After all that adjustment, the wet edge guys removed all of them because they were set too low. We didn't see then until the were done, and they had to be adjusted after again It was a nightmare, but now it's done and I'm trying to understand if the blotchiness is normal. I'll probably start another thread for that :)
Sometimes we fight these no win battles....lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.