Calcuim Hardness low after purchasing water softner

Hi!

My calcium hardness is reading very low (100), the calcium hardness increaser that I purchased said that I need to add roughly 20 lbs to increase by 150 for my pool size (12,000 gal). Is this safe to do? I am a little apprehensive to put that much in at one time. Before we bought our new water softener the CH was always reading at acceptable levels (the plumber installed the softener in the garage so all water entering the pool is softened.)

I have a t-100 test kit and here were my readings from todays test

FC- 5
CC-0
TA-120 (Been lowering it over the last week from 170!)
PH- 7.5
CH- 100
CYA- 40

Thanks!

Amber, your signature doesn't tell us ... do you have a plaster, fiberglass, or vinyl pool?

- - - Updated - - -

Also interesting ... when I had my softener installed in the garage, it softened everything EXCEPT for the outside water hose bibs. Part of that was to avoid damaging plants. Are you sure the outside hose bibs are soft water as well? You could always do a CH check on those separately.

I just tested my fill water (the one that goes directly into the pool from the outside) and my reading was only 25...twice! That is cuckoo-bananas.

With that being said, I for sure need to keep raising my calcium hardness right?

How much of the calcium hardness increaser can I safely add each time?

Thank you for all of the fabulous advice :)

Yes, you definitely need to raise it. That is the lowest CH ever. You can add enough to raise it to 250 ppm. Broadcast it on the surface of the pool with the pump running and brush the pool to circulate. It will dissolve quickly.

Our fill water has CH=75. It's not that big a deal - I added 30 pounds when I opened the pool a couple of weeks ago. The instructions said to divide the total dosage into thirds and wait at least 6 hours between additions, so I did that.

I don't think you'll lose a lot during the season unless you have a lot of splash-out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow that stuff is pricey, one of the local hardware store chains has 20 pound tubs for about $20

They may have it even cheaper in China - but I don't live there either.

And I prefer having stuff delivered to my door. It saves time.

I am quite happy with the product I linked to above. I know that it works, and I expect the $72 I spent to last most of the season here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.