First time TF100 results

Apr 3, 2016
Baltimore MD
These results are 9 hours after the pool guy added a large amount of what he called "super shock"

FC - 5.5 ppm
CC - 0.5 ppm
pH - > 8.2
Calcium - 275 ppm
Alk - 140 ppm
cya - 25 ppm (or less).

What im wondering is: are these results meaningless bc of the large amount of shock added today or does this seem right? Pool company said don't do anything for a week in terms of adding other stuff.

Seems like no cya which makes sense and high ph. Should I do something about this sooner?

Depends on the type of shock added John. If it had stabilizer in it, then the CYA may continue to creep-up for a couple days. If it was just Cal-Hypo, then there is no stabilizer at all - only calcium (CH). I would check the CYA tomorrow evening. If it's still below 30, then increase a little bit. pH definitely needs to be lowered right away - mid 7s. FC good at that level. Later, we may work on lowering the TA which will also help to keep pH down, but focus on the pH and CYA for now.

Has the pool guy been fired yet so that you can take control?

Your FC is not high enough for the pool to be neglected for a week. You will likely need to add some chlorine by tomorrow.

Haha. The guy was just there to open. It's all me now.

I want to do the bleach method of chlorination. That's the plan. This is the first time the pool has really been open. (Just built)

I went to the trash and saw about 4-5 bags of sodium s dichloro triazinetrione. So that has cya built in I think. Tomorrows plan will be acid and I'll grab some cya just in case.

Ok so after the second day I focused on pH and general cleaning (lots of vacuuming and backwashing). It took about 2/3 of the jug of muriatic acid, over 4hrs or so, to get the pH into the mid 7s from very very red >8.2. FC was at 1ppm and CC was 0.5 after the day. So big drop in free chlorine in a day after the opening shock. I didn't do any other tests because I was focused on ph. Tomorrow morning I'll do a complete test and then use the calculator to add bleach. I bought bleach and baking soda today at Costco.

Then ill hit the pool store for CYA bc I'm guessing I'm low. Huge guess there. Then I'll deal with that.

Im glued to the pool school pages but one thing I'm not grasping is the numbers behind target chlorine levels and CYA levels and how they are related. Should I deal with CYA first or try to get chlorine up a bit and then do CYA?

CYA and chlorine are linked to each other. They should be adjusted together.

If you raiise chlorine and not CYA, the sun will burn off your chlorine. If you raise CYA and not chlorine, you leave yourself open to organics attacking your water.

Add CYA to the correct level per math and raise chlorine as if the CYA is already there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Socks at the returns work great. Looks ghetto but hey whatever works. TC is around 3 right now so hopefully that will hold during the day.

The thing im wondering about now is maintenance. How much bleach to add daily to keep this going? Trial and error I guess. TC/CC and CYA each night and then adjust and then get a feel for how much to dump daily?

Its so clear and gorgeous. This is great! Chemistry plus swimming; I'm thrilled. This site is fantastic.

image.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.