Salt water sand filter help

Jul 24, 2015
Canada
I have an intex 15ft by 42" pool. Always having issues with algae. Was running a cartridge pump and chlorine. Last year I learned about cya on here emptied my pool and went to bleach. Still had a green pool. I need to get the good test kit. Planning on having it for this summer.
Im looking to switch to a salt water system and sand filter. I find th pumps just aren't strong enough. Hoping this will help keep pool clear and salt water nicer for my kids skin.

I I find it all confusing. What do I need to know about salt water system. I assume it's all the same for testing ph, cya and all that. Will the salt system make it a little easier for me to maintain a clear pool?

do I still get the usual test kit for cya and all that or is there anything different I'll be testing as its salt water.

Anything else I should know before making the jump. I so want to have a clear stress free pool summer!
please help.
Thanks

Algae is generally a chemical problem not a weak pump or filter problem.
You must not have been maintaining enough chlorine in the pool.

All the SWG does is add the FC for you every day. The testing and balancing is still basically the same.

You need one of the Recommended Test Kits and up there all you can get is the K-2006 with a very high mark-up unfortunately.

I agree, a SWG makes it easier because once you have the pool balanced it adds chlorine on a daily basis and never "misses" a day :) The only added test is the K-1766 salt test like this TFTestkits.net.. If you can get across the border you might be able to find both cheaper but they are hard to find in brick and mortar stores...

Salt water chlorine generators add chlorine to your pool just the same as adding bleach. So, it saves you buying, hauling and adding bleach. You still have to test FC. And you still have to make sure that the FC stays at target level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. Letting FC drop below minimum is what allows algae to grow.

With the k-2006 kit how many tests do you get for cya?
im trying to figure out which out I should get. As I am in Canada they are hard to find and expensive.
Why do no Canadian stores carry a test kit for CYA? I don't get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Lowry sells Taylor products in Canada. They have the tests strips that are Taylor brand that test the Cya etc. Would these be ok for me to use? Just finding the cost of the reg kits a bit to much

It would be fine to order on Amazon :) That is the smaller test kit (.75 oz bottles) but works exactly the same, I just tried to find the K-2006C that has 2 oz bottles and it is not there..

I did just find this from the Taylor site and they do have the larger kit, but you are correct, they are expensive up there....
Welcome to Taylor Technologies

For all Canadian orders, contact Lowry & Associates in Newmarket, Ontario:
905-836-0505 (voice)
905-895-4539 (fax)
[email protected]

Well I am also from Canada, I did contact Lowry's for pricing for a Taylor K2006c test kit, they sent me back a quote of 286.00 $ for the smaller K2006. I am still trying to get a friend to bring me up a Tftest kit, maybe this will be my lucky year.
But for the last few years I have been getting by with the 7$ test kit available at Canadian Tire. It only tests for FC and PH. Cya and salt both being one time additions by using the pool calculator and keeping track of my additions of cya and salt I have been having good success so far.
Intel website recommends a drain, scrub and refill, as their filter pumps just can't do the job. A few years ago I bought a sand filter and SWG, pool looks great so far. Sold my extra filters and haven't looked back.
The most important thing I do is looking at my pool in the morning and evening, looking the longest distance you can across the pool you should be able to clearly see the pattern on the bottom. If I see it becoming even slightly cloudy I know my FC has dipped and I add bleach and or increase the runtime on my SWG. I like to keep my FC high enough so it is testing a bright yellow colour, it is also important to keep your ph in the correct range as well.
July first we host a family bar b que, last year we had 6 - 8 kids in the pool for six hours the water remained crystal clear. The kids know where the bathroom is and that they should use it, drunken adult friends not so much ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check the link in my signature that does a comparison of the test kits. Although at one point we thought that the Taylor started including a little bit more cya reagent.

Well I am also from Canada, I did contact Lowry's for pricing for a Taylor K2006c test kit, they sent me back a quote of 286.00 $ for the smaller K2006. I am still trying to get a friend to bring me up a Tftest kit, maybe this will be my lucky year.

Another possibility would be to use a service like myus.com. They give you your own US address that you can use when ordering stuff, then they forward the shipments to you when they receive them.

You could always try ordering your K2006 and at the same time order more of the reagents that your going to run out of quickly - namely the R-0870 DPD powder and R-0871 for the all important FAS DPD test and a pint of R-0013 reagent for the CYA which pound for pound will give you more CYA tests than you need and is relatively cheap. This is what I have done as we have the same issues in Australia. Many of us Aussies have used these guys poolvacparts with great success- they are selling the K2006 for $75 USD plus shipping. Also add the Speedstir while your at it.

opening pool with SWG

Hi, I've had an intex pool for the past 2 years 15"x 42inches. have always ended up with green pool despite my desperate attempts to keep it clean.
I've just purchased a new stronger sand filter pump and salt water generator.
as i find this all overwhelming and seem to be doing it all wrong can someone help me with how to start everything up.
after i fill the pool what do i do? what do i need to add?
about how much salt will i need to buy for this size pool?
is it better to run the SWG more to compensate for people being in it?
as well does anyone know where i can buy the sand for the pump? I'm in Ottawa Ontario Canada.
I'm really hoping for a better pool season. as much as i read everything on here I'm obviously just not getting it as again green pool all the time. :(
please help me!!!

TH is total hardness? It can't be 0 that is a bad test. Is it a guess strip? That is not helping you.

You need a good test kit to get good test results. In Canada that is more difficult and more expensive. The Taylor K-2006 is the only good test kit available that we recommend.

Here is the theory behind chorinating your pool. And how to avoid algae and keep your pool sanitary. Chlorine's primary job is to sanitize your pool to eliminate person to person disease transmission. Killing algae is just a fringe benefit.
Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC must always be kept above minimum to have an effective kill rate for bacteria, algae, viruses and pathogens. If it drops below minimum your pool becomes unsanitary and there is increased risk of person to person disease transmission, especially for kids. So, set your SWG so that by the time it comes on again the FC is still at or above minimum for your CYA.

CYA is necessary to protect FC from burning off rapidly from the sun. It also buffers the harshness of the chlorine and makes the water much nicer. CYA needs to be at 70-80 ppm in a saltwater pool.

It is safe to swim when
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
And the water is clear

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.