1st Test

az240z

May 1, 2016
Glendale, Az
Here are the results of my first test. Its not pretty.

Fc/Cc no reading as I put 35 drops and it never changes color.

CH 1375

TA 230

CYA 100

CL 5+ (orange color)

PH 8.2

My pool usually takes about 1 cup of muriatic acid a week, I added last Sunday. At that time I slammed the pool with old 12.5% liquid chlorine 4 gal worth. I added more chlorine on Wednesday.

From the results I guess I have to change the water. I will pump half out today and then test tomorrow..

Take equal parts tap water and pool water and mix. Then use this as your pool water portion to re-test that CYA, doubling the results.

You may very well be quite a bit over 100 as the test taps out at that number.

How does your water look? How do your pool walls appear- got any scale developing? How do you normally chlorinate?

A SLAM is not a one-time dose of chlorine, its a procedure and it requires you to keep the FC at the proper level until 3 steps are completed:
1-pool is cler
2-over night chlorine loss test is 1 or less
3-CC's measure at 0.5 or less

I had to look at your other thread to see what test kit you were using. Please at that to your signature.

Was the FAS-DPD chlorine test starting as pink? If so, you just did not add enough drops. You only got up to 17.5ppm and the color of your OTO (yellow) chlorine test means it is likely up in the 20s.

I started to drain the pool, used the back was and then a small pump,but I forgot to shut off the auto water fill. Didn't notice it until an hour had passed. LOL...

I redid the CYA as you suggested and the reading dropped to 70. So if I double that then its at 140..

Well I was going to drain 1/3 of pool but I guess I'll do 1/2..

If it were mine, I would do a full drain, your CYA may be 140, but just in case it is off 20 or so you still may end up with 80? or maybe more, when your CYA gets that high and even if you do the dilution could be off, also if your CH really is that high, again a 1/2 drain will only bring that down by 1/2.

I just did a full drain/refill, I was dealing with high CYA 150?, also my CH was rising about 25 or so per month and getting higher than I wanted, now I feel I have much better control of my pool water.

I think the more you drain the better. Your CH is astronomical which would warrant replacing water even if your CYA was not also too high.

Ground water is not an issue for you, so the pool will not float if you drain a lot.

Best to be done at night when the sun is not shining on the pool surface and does not hurt to try to keep the pool surface damp.

We just got a downpoor so the sides are staying damp. I have a small pump, 1250 gal per hour, so 13-14 hours of pumping to get it empty. And 2 days of filling. Gonna have to put the catch a kid back on as the grandkids are coming for Mothers Day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is just about full. Here are the results of the test, I added 2.4 lbs of stabilizer while the pool was filling.

FC 3.5
CC 1.0
Ch 550
TA 150
CYA 50
PH 7.5
CL poor light but I'm thinking 3.

On the face of it the drain and refill worked. Considering the pool is in Sun all day I think the CYA is ok.
CC is a little high. Ch level??

Seems reasonable. Your tap water might have cc in it from the supply. Did you test your two water for CH?

Get that FC up a bit too. With the CC, maybe shoot up toward shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.